Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just for fun.

So, what product out there for long range shooting/sniping is not easily accessible? What is that one critical thing you would love to have, but cannot find (or afford) ??

Perhaps here are a few:
A canted tactical base with only 10-15 MOA of cant (without custom ordering one)
A highquality scope, 4.5-14x40mm 30mm tube, mildot scope, 100 MOA adjustments, side focus for $300 (yeah, dreaming)
A 6.5 caliber bullet at 130gr designed for long range shooting
A factory sabot 308 match load available for public purchase

what else ??? Rifles, optics, accessories, ammo????

MEL

·
Registered
140 Posts
This is something that i have been thinking about for quite some time.

Having the reciever, barrel, and optics base all be one peice milled out on a CNC machine. This would be awesome for bench rest but im not quite sure how it would be for tactical / military shooters. ( weight issues? )

The purpose of this would to have it be ULTRA strong and consistant. I have no clue how you would go about head spacing it, but its a good concept for ultra accuracy.

Im guessing if you could get an extreemly accurate CNC machine you wouldnt need to worry about headspacing, just mill out the parts and they fit perfect.

Here is how the rifle would be built. ( keep in mind this is a long range "tactical stand off" rifle )

Single peice reciever, barrel, and optics base, double pillar bedded with either alluminum or glass bedding.

.300 Lapua / .338 Lapua / .408 CheyTac / .50 BMG caliber.

Detachable 5 / 10 round double stack magazine.

McMillan A5 style stock.

The only downfall i can think of at this time is the issue of when the barrel needs replacement you have to replace just about the entire rifle.

·
Registered
524 Posts
mele said:

MEL
+1

FYI. If you ever started loading and selling these you would be a rich man.....***hint hint***

·
Registered
140 Posts
mele said:

MEL
+1

This is alot more doable than my rifle idea.

Allthough, i have heard about problems with the .308 SABOT ammo comming out the sides of barrels and that is why Remington i beleive it is does not make it any more. They still make it in 30-06 and 30-30 Winchester though. Any thruth to that?

Now, i know for a fact back in the early 90's the US Military experimented with 308 caliber SLAP ammo (65gr tungstun speer) in the M-60 / M-60E3 and it had the same problem with rounds comming out the side of the barrel instead of the muzzle. Im guessing with a bolt action rifle it wouldnt jar the bullet out of place and cause that to happen.

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
It seems the Swedish (Nek is a Swede, right?) have perfected it, he used to tell us about it a year or so back.

What I would like is a few years down the road when the technology becomes more robust and advanced, is a digital scope with a laser rangefinder built into it. Something like the proposed grenade sight for the OICW. Now, if it also made corrections with it's digital crosshair, that would be great.

Heh, shows how lazy I am.

Digital picture capability would also rock! "Command, check out all these T-72s rolling down the road 1,500 meters to my November. Here's the pics and GPS co-ordinates"

All pure fantasy aside, what would make my day is Leupold starting to self-distribute (if they don't already) and slashing their prices in half after cutting out the middleman, much like a Super Sniper scope would cost 799 instead of 300 if they went through a distributer.

*sigh* a man can dream

:twisted:

·
Registered
777 Posts
Limited to one thing...thats going to be hard. Sign me up for that dream scope, or failing that:

Something mounted inside the stock that could truly make heavy 30-06 or 300WM class cartridges kick like a M4 carbine, and make even a rifle with a straight taper barrel balance perfectly. (Perfect according to me anyway), all without drastically increasing the overall weight.

Now there's an "impossible specification" if I ever saw one.

On a more practical note, how about Leupold M4 rings and one piece bases in stainless coated with something, with models for many different actions?

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
A suppresser. Granted it will not stop all the noise, but I look at it like the europeans, it is an eviromentaly friendly tool. Besides any beating I can avoid to my already beaten ear drums would be nice.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Or joel, you could buy one that already exists. Built in BDC and digital ballistics calculator.

Elcan makes it and it retails for around 1800 dollars.

·
Registered
366 Posts
A highquality scope, 4.5-14x40mm 30mm tube, mildot scope, 100 MOA adjustments, side focus for $300 (yeah, dreaming)
Put me down for one of those!!!

And a recoil reducing device that balances a heavy barrel without adding weight, and a suppressing device that I can legally possess, and a…….

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
a .308 suppressor that quiets winchester PP 150gr bullets so its as loud as a hummingbird(silent)

dom

·
Registered
145 Posts
So, what product out there for long range shooting/sniping is not easily accessible? What is that one critical thing you would love to have, but cannot find (or afford) ??
I'd like to see a product that removes hate, anger, envy, etc.

But if you can't manage that this year Mel, I would say the thing that bugs quite a few people "these days" is waiting to recieve something. Take out the wait time for custom tactical, benchrest, varmit, and hunting rifles.

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Now there's a winner, Gabriel! If the custom rifle you ordered showed up next day.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Gabriel said:
But if you can't manage that this year Mel, I would say the thing that bugs quite a few people "these days" is waiting to recieve something. Take out the wait time for custom tactical, benchrest, varmit, and hunting rifles.
That would be easy!! Though I would have to modify a few of the available options.

Perhaps limit the stock and metal colors to three choices:
black, black and black
And the caliber to four choices
.308 .308 .308 and .308
Then the barrel length, we might be able to offer two choices
24" and 24"

:wink:

Or, actually, I might be able to do it if I had about $1 Million to carry every possible combination of parts.... but it is doable!

On a serious note.... I know what you are saying, and I want to get to where I cano carry a few SC2's in stock at all times, so people have an immediate option. (impulse buy)

MEL

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Gotta love the 2k dollar impule buy. Not quite as bad as the 20k dollar impluse buy (IE new car), but it'll work.

I'd honestly love to see an affordable gen 2-3 night vision rifle scope. Mabye a red on green reticle?

·
Registered
207 Posts
I have a couple of ideas.
1. Id love to see bullets made that have bc's as high as Lost River Ballistic's claimed bc's, and heres the kicker, at a more affordable price. Most of us reload for two reasons, 1. cost, and 2. accuracy. While lost river bullets seem to have the potential to be great at long ranges, paying a dollar for just the bullet puts them out of the question to me.

2. A truely modular bolt action rifle series. I guess my only example would be a bolt action "Thompson Center Encore" type rifle. To be able to have an action and possibly interchangeable stocks, and simply swap the bolt and barrel to whatever caliber you wanted to shoot that day. I guess what im trying to say is one rifle that a common person could order a barrel (and bolt if necessary) and swap calibers in a relativly short amout of time in their own home.

These may not be practical, but it sure would be nice.
Chris

·
Registered
253 Posts
how about a scope that had a laser range finder built into it that once the target was "lazed", it automatically put the crosshairs to match POA with POI. if there are any Mech Infantry guys in here, that'd be like the ISU in a Bradley.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
brian.phinney said:
how about a scope that had a laser range finder built into it that once the target was "lazed", it automatically put the crosshairs to match POA with POI. if there are any Mech Infantry guys in here, that'd be like the ISU in a Bradley.
When I had the privledge (sarcasm) of working with M2A2's, the ISU did not compensate for range.... oh, hey, there was no laser range finder either!! When did they put those in?

In terms of the modular bolt action... beleive it or not, look at a savage!! Barrel swaps are less than 30 minutes. I'll reserve comment on production quality.

MEL

·
Registered
253 Posts
sorry.....the M2A2 is now either the M2A2 w/ODS (Operation Desert Storm), which is what we currently have, or the M2A3, which we should be fielding by fiscal year 2006. the M2A2 w/ODS is an M2A2 that the gov't did a survey of folks that were in the war and updated the M2A2 (spall panels inside, LRF, i don't know the rest). i'm not sure what the differences between the M2A2 w/ODS and the M2A3 are going to be.

thanks,

Brian

·
Registered
347 Posts
mele... this might sound wierd but a nice thing to add to my equipment would be some boots. I don't do any tactical work (yet hopefully one day) but I do hunt and it is hard to come across good durable boots that are

1. waterproof
2. light weight
3. steel toe
4. quiet to walk in

-Brian Shields

1 - 20 of 65 Posts