Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what if we had a DSR-1 with overall length equal to an M40A1 adding the extra length to the barrel, what effect would that have on the rifle?

this is a hypothetical question.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If added barrel length increases muzzle velocity, then how come most ballistic calculators on the net don't use that parameter in their calculations?

I didn't know DSR-1 had a Lapua configuration :shock:

If u have any info regarding that configuration please share

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
We7det_el_qetal_ra3d said:
If added barrel length increases muzzle velocity, then how come most ballistic calculators on the net don't use that parameter in their calculations?
Because the ballistics calculator as you are referring to is specifically for "exterior" ballistics, which is everything that happens AFTER the bullet leaves the barrel. The only thing that software cares about is the velocity of the bullet just as it leaves the barrel (muzzle velocity). It can care less HOW that velocity was acheived. Everything that happens inside of the action/chamber/barrel is known as "Internal Ballistics". (Everything that happens once the bullet hits the target is known as "Terminal Ballistics"). So, the fact that muzzle length effects the velocity of the bullet as it leaves the barrel is all a part of the internal ballistics calculations. Yes, UP TO A POINT, increasing the length of your barrel will increase your muzzle velocity. (That point is well beyond the practical length of a rifle).

MEL

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
besides having to drag that HUUUGE some a bish through the dirt and getting the barrel caught on everything possible, the velocities would be great and would be a flat shooter.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
I think the extra velocity gained from a 32" barrel is probably not worth the weight you would add from all that extra metal from the long barrel. But until someone does it (which no one probably will with a $10k PSG-1) we will not know. I would suspect there may be difficulty free floating in a bull pup configuration though....

MEL

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Actually the british did something quite similar to what i'm proposing using their L86A1 SAW, which they eventually turned into a sniper weapon coz of extreme ACCURACY.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
If we are talking about the L86A1 SAW, if I remember correctly, Yimmy didn't have very favorable thoughts about using it for a DMR or Sniper rifle....

MEL

1 - 15 of 15 Posts