Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess this would be the right spot to post this...?

Well...i started running track last year for my school as a sprinter (iam 5'9 1/2, 176 pounds, but a decent runner) running about a 12.5 100M and 27sec 200m (bad on 200M :lol: ) then i had a 17 minute 2 mile run, and 7:30 1 mile.

I've pretty much got lazy over the summer after baseball was over...now i have all this free time and ive turned into a couch patato! Really dont like how ive been feeling lately so ive really wanted to get back to what ive been able to do....problem is, i dont have anyone to run with except my dad...but he sometimes doesnt get home till late and he runs on the treadmill...i sometimes run on it but i dont like to because it feels like its doing the work while all iam doing is pushing my legs forward...so i dont really have that much motivation, and thats really what iam used to because i had one of the greatest coaches ever motivational wise!

Iam only 15, but I would really like to get in better shape for next track season so maybe ill be able to run in track meets and not get my butt kicked :lol:

So if anyone has a exercise plan that i could use to help me out (start out slow...iam outa shape! :oops: ) i would really appreciate it!!

Also next year iam going to go to Philmont and backpack 110 miles in 11 days for boyscouts! Cant wait for that and id really like to get in shape for that...any thing for that would be nice also (but make it after all of the other things)

Mainly what iam looking for is a Diet that i could use (bad on that... :oops: ) exercise plan that will help me loose body fat (iam around 20-25 soemthing like that) be able to run miles, but still be fast!

Thanks!!!

StealTh

StealTh

·
Registered
347 Posts
Losing body fat will help but building muscle will increase your strength, speed, explosiveness (if thats a word) and your endurance. I can hook you up with a decent fat cutting/muscle building workout that's good for beginners...made a huge difference for me...Meal plan available on request as well! PM me and I'll get you hooked up.

-Brian Shields

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Recoil said:
If you subscribe to that Adkins diet, I swear I will come to your house and kill you myself.
:lol: HAHAHA! Noooooo i would never do those things!! I was talking about a "diet" as in what exactly to eat with the exercise program, no cutting carbs or anything like that...i mean like no junk food stuff! And yea a balanced diet was what iam talking about.

I forgot to add build muscle to. and yea i know what shuttle runs are, we do those in PE all the time.

PM sent to ya dead

Oh yea, i live in Kentucky in the mountains, so i have miles of trails i can use to train on, and i was thinking about the backpacking thing also, but more around 30-40 pounds, but 60 sounds better now that i think of it...

Ill try and find out the hight i live at to!

Thanks!

StealTh

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Recoil said:
In weight lifting, rather than pressing the weights up and down at a consistent, regular pace, you blast them up as fast as you can, then let them down slow.
Yea, we did these push ups in the weight room where we would put are feet on boxes then slowly (as slow as possible) lower ourselves to the ground with are arms, then when we got around 3-4 inches off the ground we would hold it, then after 10 seconds of holding we would shoot back up, and repeat going down as slow as possible, hold, shoot back up.

At the track we would go to this one spot and would do drills such as frog leaping, lungeing, sprint, mario hop (ever seen the way mario jumps? :lol: ) high knee, and when we went down to the stoping point, we would run backwards to the start and continue.

We also did hill sprints... :? gata hate those...We would start at the bottom of this big hill, and do drills (see above) up it, and sometimes sprint it. Who knows how many time's I tossed my cookies on that one... :lol:

StealTh

**EDIT**
Did you get my PM Dead?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Dead!

Also, i cant get to the gym all to often...(iam only 15, so i cant drive :oops: ) and dont have weights around my house...so mainly just pushups and things!

StealTh

·
Registered
347 Posts
Recoil,

I do not think I can argue with you on Bruce Lee's way of being fit! :lol:
BUT I will say that I tried the light weight workouts and with the help of a personal trainer and my boxing coach found that my body reacted better to power lifts and heavy weights...That being said, I think it would be smart for someone to try both and see what merits the best results. Either way, heavy weights or small weights...any weights at all should help anyone who is just getting started.

-Brian Shields

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
One thing is iam not going for looks as much as iam going for the ability to do things!! Sure I'd want to look good, but at the same time i'd like to be able to run miles, and sprint faster than ever.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I've stuck with more of the power lifting and heavy lifts lately, that mixed with frequent cardio...i can sprint like none other for a guy 200+ at only 5'8''...i'm not a track runner by anymeans...it's the core strength that boosted my speed, i'm convinced of it. I do a lot of dead lifts and cleans in my work out and that makes me able to do things... I buck hay for a living as well so that contributes to "brute" strength. My older cousin has put on about 15 pounds in the past 6-8 weeks ...his workouts consist ONLY of power lifts and he eats a lot of steak and potatoes right now...he's experiencing soreness in his joints...so I definitly see where that can be a problem like you said Recoil. Stealth, the best way to build muscles you can use is to use them. I know that there are some interesting reads by a Russian strength coach...he has some interesting views and workouts you may like...so i'll try and find that guys name tonight and post on it tomorrow.

-Brian Shields

·
Registered
238 Posts
ive only been working out for about 4 years, but what i do, is, since i work out by myself most often, ill put on a certain weight, and do 3 sets of 5 reps, and once i can do 10 reps for the 3 sets consistantly, i add more weight,

also with martial arts ill do say 100 of a certain punch then as it gets too easy, ill add more, or grab a 5pound weight

as far as not having any weights to use, thats fine, your about 180 lbs, well you cant do too many exercises lifting more than that, so such things as one legged squats, hindu pushups(aka dive bombers), handstand pushups and the like are excellent substitutions, i myself did these before i was able to purchase my weight set, and i highly recommend it

he eats a lot of steak and potatoes right now
thats not as good for you as one would think, generaly when looking to help muscle developement you want to stay away from red meats....

skinless chickens, TUNA TUNA TUNA! lol ive recently discovered the massive amounts of protein in even the small cans of tuna, thats as far as meats go anyway, but vegetables and fruits are a must, and if you do semi long distance running(1-3 miles) then peanut butter is good, i say only with running because he comes with alot of extras that, though are easy to burn off, need to be burned off none the less. But if you run alot, like me, you have to worry little about food just so long as your not senseless about it, because it sounds as if your in shape-ish, and adjusted diets are primarily if your overweight, or special compititions and goals.

and i think its carbohydrates that you want if your doing long distance, perhaps clarification could be used im newer to the long distance diet adjustments...personaly i eat a bowl of wheaties every morning, and that seems to be sufficient

also, i dont know how your school does it, but baseball is in the summer for mine, so perhaps you should play a fall sport and a spring sport, basketball, football? keeps you in shape, and almost no amount of weight lifting can surpass it....

p.s. i feel like i forgot to say something or left something out...

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
I really didn't know red meats were to be avoided

·
Registered
994 Posts
Muzzleblast said:
I've never avoided them, and I'm "buff". I don't reckon Jeff850 does either, and he's a 6'4" Rambo. You can cut red meat to be as lean as poultry. For those curious of what Jeff (or I) may look like, Muzzleblast has a number of photographs of tall muscular men. :wink:

Scatch Maroo

·
Registered
347 Posts
Muzzleblast said:
Hmmm, me either. Red meat has served my purposes well... I'm only 18 but I think I'm doing alright on being "stacked." I've always eaten red meat...steak before chicken anyday!

-Brian Shields

·
Premium Member
1,222 Posts
StealTh said:
Also next year iam going to go to Philmont and backpack 110 miles in 11 days for boyscouts!
That's awesome. I have been trying to get to Philmont for a few years now, but the Venturing Crew I advise has different ideas of what they want to do.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts