Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided to have a little fun with binary but didn't feel like paying full price for tannerite, so I picked up a case of cool packs at the store. I made sure they said they had ammonium nitrate on the box; however, when you look closer it says calcium ammonium nitrate, otherwise known as CAN. I mixed this with a sensitizer, Al powder. And shot it with a 30-06. It didn't detonate. I hit it dead on in a tightly seal coke bottle but my best guess is the 30-06 load I was using was a heavy bullet and too slow, ~2600-2700 FPS. I moved it to a new container and shot it with a 5.56 and it exploded. My question is why the addition of calcium? Does that just make it harder to detonate? It clearly still works.

I get that it requires a certain amount of kinetic energy dumped into the mixture for it to detonate. IMO, seems like the 30-06 would be better. Not because it's a stronger round, but because it's dependent upon the kinetic energy dumped which means the more the round decelerates in the compound the better. To me the wider heavier bullet would decelerate better than the light faster bullet. I would guess this could be proven if you used a chrono behind a stable mixture similar to the binary and then measure out the missing kinetic energy, but that seems like a pain. Plus you risk shooting your chrono. Does anybody know the exact speed or momentum that is required to detonate tannerite? Or whatever you call what I made with CAN and Al.

I'm also looking into other sources of binary type explosives. After some research it seems some have a hard on for outlawing ammonium nitrate to the public. I do have a family farm and often get this chemical pure in the chemical fertilizer we and extracting this wouldn't be very hard. I would still like to find other means of explosives. I'm a chemical physics major in college right now and I remember learning about thermite reactions. Normally thermite makes people think molten iron which is correct but that's not the only thermite that can be made. Specifically I was looking at copper thermite as CuO is relatively inexpensive and while technically a thermite the reaction it is so fast it's more like an explosion. Any body have any other binary recipes they'd be willing to share? Sorry for all the questions.

·
Registered
10 Posts
put in 5% potassium perclorate to make your batch more sensitive. 3006 should set it off. there are formulas for 22 rimfire but they are a little dangerous. Nothing but low grade flash powder.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts