Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
Varget...

But I'm a powder nazi so take it for what it is worth.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I get best results from IMR-4064 in both bolt action and an M1A nm. As compared against H335, TAC, RE15, and Varget.

·
Registered
39 Posts
IMR 3031 , IMR 4895 , IMR 4064 . None of the tubular powders meter that well. The Bullet , Powder combination , depends on which rifle I use it in.

·
Registered
13 Posts
4064, Varget, and RE15 meter best for me, I have trouble with granular powders. But I use an electronic powder dispenser/scale, a gravity meter, so your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
I used Varget and 4895, both worked well.

If you create an account at precisionreloading.com and add varget (or any powder or item) to your wishlist and enable email notification they'll send you an email when it's in stock.

I've done this with H4350, and other things and it works great.

Also when I looked this morning they had 1lbers of Varget in stock, but I would recommend buying an 8lber or multiple 1lbers then mixing them with each other (of the same type of powder mind you, don't mix two different powders)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,710 Posts
I've been using 4064 for a few years but have used Varget in the past. Both work well. In a factory rifle I doubt one could see the difference on paper.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
There are a lot of powders that work well in .308. The BEST POWDERS are the ones that are available. Varget has been so scarce for so long I quit using it altogether. IMR-4064, Alliant PP 2000MR, IMR-8208 XBR are three that have filled the bill very well with each one delivering sub .5 MOA accuracy in my .308 with properly worked up loads. I have been able to fine these three powders on the shelf at my local Cabela's whenever I need it. Another powder that is really good is the newer IMR 4166. Supposed to be very temperature insensitive which is a bonus this time of year where it's freezing one day and you could play golf in shirt sleeves the net.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Varget...

But I'm a powder nazi so take it for what it is worth.
Ha! You must have seen my " Optics Nazi's" comment. Nice follow up.
I was leaning towards Varget.
How does it meter? I would like to use a Dillon 550 powder station to dispense the power but cylindrical powders meter like corn flakes in it.

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
It will not meter well in any powder drop. It will need to be individually trickled if you want better than 3/4-1 moa accuracy.

If you want one that meters well you might try CFE223. I have not tried it in 308...but many have and it works well for me in 223.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Reloader 15 and IMR 4064. My rifle prefers the 4064 with this barrel but the last barrel she liked RL-15 the best...

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
I have not been able to get ANY stick powder to meter to my satisfaction in a Dillon powder drop...or any other powder drop for that matter.

I would guess CFE223 or similar powder is probably your best bet in a dillon.

Keep in mind that you will be sacrificing accuracy when you use your dillon press. Like I said earlier...if 3/4-1 moa is what you are looking for then you will be happy with loading on the dillon. If you want sub 1/2 moa accuracy then using the dillon powder drop won't cut it and you will need to make some changes to your 550. If you want sub 1/4 moa accuracy then the dillon won't cut it at all.

Dillon presses are great. I own several. They are made to crank out rounds fast and they are good at that. They are not designed for, nor do they work well for precision shooting.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts