Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Is the only drawback of a progressive machine the powder station?
I believe I can size , seat bullets, and apply a touch of crimp using a Dillon with the proper dies .
Am I missing something?

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
Crimp is almost always detrimental to accuracy in a bolt gun. I would not crimp at all. Set your tension with the sizing die and if you have a good die and consistent brass it will be uniform.

A dillon 550 will preform all of those tasks...but it is not great at producing concentric, precision ammo. Proper dies are a good step towards that precision...but they will not be fully utilized without a quality single stage press.

In a rifle with a factory barrel...you might never know the difference. It just all depends what you are trying to achieve. If you want 1/4 minute consistent accuracy then the dillon is not going to cut it...but neither will a factory barrel unless you just happened to get crazy lucky.

A factory barrel is usually good for 3/4-1 moa. The dillon 550 is good for 3/4-1 moa. If you want consistently better than 1/2 moa then you will probably have to upgrade both. I'm not trying to discourage you...or spend your money...I'm just telling you the reality of the situation. I have been down that road and this is where I now am.

When one starts trying to step below 1/2 and especially below 1/4 moa...every single little thing matters. Every single part of the rifle matters, every single part of reloading and prep matters, and every single part of how the rifle is driven matters. Most people never own a rifle that will show these small issues and therefore never see the need for better loading equipment or more training. Most people think "my rifle is 1/2 moa if I do my part" because they shoot a 1/2 moa group once in a while. Reality usually is...the rifle is NOT a consistent 1/2 moa shooter regardless of who is behind the rifle. 1/2 moa once in a while is easy with most decent setups...but staying below that consistently is where things get tough.

You need to decide what level of precision you are going to be satisfied with. If 3/4-1 moa is plenty...then I wouldn't spend a lot of money. However...one will never become a 1/4 moa shooter with a 3/4 moa rifle. The 3/4 moa rifle is not precise enough to point out errors in shooting form that need to be corrected.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have a local shop here in Houston that scores Varget 1&8 lb'ers regularly...are you close by? Houston Reloading Supply, Sherry & Ed 832-220-6053, call, leave a message and they will call you back pretty quick. I can't remember whether they ship or not but it won't hurt to ask. They normally run Varget @ $33 for 1lb & $189.99 for 8lbs. They're good folks and are very fair...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Kimber Extrude powders like IMR-3031 will not meter as good a Ball Powder as say W748. Thus one of the advantage's of loading single stage there is no metering problems with any powder, thus I can use any powder I chose .

·
Registered
67 Posts
In my Sabatti, H-4895 is great.

I recently purchased a Savage 10 FCP-K in .308 and I'm currently developing a load for it. To date, my best 5 shot group was with Shooters World Match Rifle powder; 44.3 grains and 155 grain Nosler Custom Competition bullets... a .452" group. I'll be doing more testing with that load plus some 168 grain Nosler CC bullets that I've just received.

·
Banned
132 Posts
while i load most of my 308 ammo by hand, i have in the past
produced match quality ammo on a dillon 550.
it takes 2 tool heads, one to prep the brass and one to load with.
it also requires either a powder that meters well or/and a load
with a large sweet spot. dillon measure work very well with the right powders.
excellent dies a set up correctly.

·
Banned
132 Posts
as far as powders yep 4064 works well which means one should try the new imr 4166.
the mil liked reloader 15, so look at it and the new rl16
vit powders like n135, n140 and n540.

·
Banned
132 Posts
crimp can/may help in a rifle where one cannot reach the lands.
if you are stuck with a short oal and poor accuracy, you could consider,
trimming your brass to the same length, and then start with a mild crimp and work up.

just another tool to work with when the "normal" stuff does not work.

·
Registered
137 Posts
4064 is a powder every 308 owner should try. I have varget and it's about the same for me as xbr. They are both real nice powders. Primarily use h4895. It's just as good as the others for my rifle and it gives me the ability to load some reduced loads for the wife.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
555 Posts
Unless you are loading for a gas gun I would not crimp. Precision loads for bolt rifles in my opinion should not be crimped. Have tried both.

·
Banned
132 Posts
i do not crimp for my gas guns, and
the statement i made is still correct.
read what it says.
it is another tool to try.
i never said it works every time in every rifle.

Unless you are loading for a gas gun I would not crimp. Precision loads for bolt rifles in my opinion should not be crimped. Have tried both.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have been loading with Varget. I must be lucky too because my local gun shop stocks more than I can buy.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Choice of Powder for 308 Win,is important.

As for every other caliber.

But ... I think a lot of powders will do the Job well if you do part which I consider more important than choice of powder it self.

Case preparation.

If you don t do that ... no powder in the Market willl help you to compensate.

I used and use Varget, Bofors RP-3, Vihtavuori N-550 and all of them will do the Job.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I used Varget and 4895, both worked well.

If you create an account at precisionreloading.com and add varget (or any powder or item) to your wishlist and enable email notification they'll send you an email when it's in stock.

I've done this with H4350, and other things and it works great.

Also when I looked this morning they had 1lbers of Varget in stock, but I would recommend buying an 8lber or multiple 1lbers then mixing them with each other (of the same type of powder mind you, don't mix two different powders)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Accurateshooter web site recently posted an article that tested a variety of powders for temperature stability. interestingly they found H4350 varied the least of all powders tested re temp changes and also proved extremely good for accuacy loads.
I have used Varget a lot but my .308 loves both H4350 as well as H4895. It shoots tiny groups with Reloader 15 but it is so temperature unstable I stopped using it
for hunting and targets. Several other of the Aliant powders resist temperature issues as well I am told.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Unfortunately,it is very hard and expencive to put hands on H4350 or Varget in my part of the World.
Here,we mostly use Vihtavuori or Bofors,as easyest to get.
But,no complain. Im happy to get anything.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts