Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was a little short on time and ammo before a shooting session not long ago so I just ran through Cabela's to see if I could pick up a box or two of some Fed GMM ammo. Found some 175 gr SMK's in the GMM line but right next to it was a new and interesting box. Different design on the box and it showed it was loaded with Berger 185 Juggernauts. Since I'd loaded several boxes of those before with great results I thought I'd grab a couple boxes of factory ammo for a change.

Results were fantastic. Took some to Raton and was able to hit the White Buffalo (1025 meters) with ease. Not just the buffalo but the 16" aiming plate as well.

Today I shot half a box from the same line only in .223, loaded with Berger 73 gr. First shot high due to my rifle being sighted for 300 yards and I was shooting at 100 yards. Adjusted scope and next 5 rounds into a hole measuring right at .25 MOA. Repeated on second string of 5.

How about others out there. Have any of you tried the Federal/Berger combination factory ammo? Have you found it to be some pretty good stuff. The last time I tried a box of Factory Ammo it was the old boxes of FGMM with Sierra 175 gr SMK's and the results with the same rifles were lat best OK.

Being a reloader at heart, I took the empty .308 brass and have at least replicated the speed and performance with some 185 gr Juggernaut bullets I had on the shelf. Alliant PP2000 using the same charge weight I found in a factory cartridge I pulled down. 45.5 gr. Powder in the factory load looks to the naked eye, and even to my eye using a magnifying glass, to be exactly the same as PP2000MR. Same granule sizes, same apparent mix of large, medium, small granules, same color, same smell, and when loaded my measured muzzle velocities averaged within 10 fps.

Don't plan on giving up hand loading but it's nice to know that this accurate stuff exists out there should I get caught short of stuff I've built.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Bought a box of those Federal Premium GM with the 185 gr Juggernauts a few months ago and was going to see how they do in my factory rifle, but haven't fired any of them yet. I forgot I had them until you mentioned them.

Thanks on that report as now I'll have to make it a point to shoot them and report back on my experience. It'll be interesting to see how they do in my factory barrel that has a huge jump.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does federal Berger come in 6.5CM? Didn't see anything on Federal's website..
They make it with a 130 gr bullet. Use the AR Hybrid OTM with a BC or .560.

Haven't tried them yet because the 147gr Hornady ELD-M's are really good for me out beyond 1000 meters.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
They make it with a 130 gr bullet. Use the AR Hybrid OTM with a BC or .560.

Haven't tried them yet because the 147gr Hornady ELD-M's are really good for me out beyond 1000 meters.
I am looking for factory 6.5CM that I can reach out accurately as far as a 6.5 can stay supersonic. Never had luck with Hornady, but I'll give a box or two a try.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts