Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought Federal 215 Large Magnum Rifle Primers by mistake. They were in stock and the box was the same color as the 210M Large Rifle Primers. So am I’m stuck with 1000 primers? Or, can I use the Fed 215 Magnums in a 308 round using Hodgdon CFE223 powder?

·
Registered
612 Posts
I bought Federal 215 Large Magnum Rifle Primers by mistake. They were in stock and the box was the same color as the 210M Large Rifle Primers. So am I’m stuck with 1000 primers? Or, can I use the Fed 215 Magnums in a 308 round using Hodgdon CFE223 powder?
You can use them, may have to retune your load for a magnum primer

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
612 Posts
Would I lower the charge or increase them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No it.wont be a problem at all just be sure to lower your charge to compensate. I couldn't tell you how much, I myself would probably drop by a grain to start

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No it.wont be a problem at all just be sure to lower your charge to compensate. I couldn't tell you how much, I myself would probably drop by a grain to start

Is the case length more important or less important than loading for a bolt gun? I’m using a Kel-Tec RFB. Just got it. Not too impressed yet. Needs to be cleaned and oiled very well I feel.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Is the case length more important or less important than loading for a bolt gun? I’m using a Kel-Tec RFB. Just got it. Not too impressed yet. Needs to be cleaned and oiled very well I feel.
More important is consistent case length. You definitely don't want less than minimum or greater than maximum. I always trim mine .005 over minimum. To long of neck can in essence pinch the neck hard enough that bullet cant release. Typically your tolerance range is minimum + 15-20 thou. Like a 308 recommended minimun is 2.005 and max +20 thou I believe.. maybe 15 but anyway I trim all to 2.010. Whatever length you pick thats what you develope you load around

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
More important is consistent case length. You definitely don't want less than minimum or greater than maximum. I always trim mine .005 over minimum. To long of neck can in essence pinch the neck hard enough that bullet cant release. Typically your tolerance range is minimum + 15-20 thou. Like a 308 recommended minimun is 2.005 and max +20 thou I believe.. maybe 15 but anyway I trim all to 2.010. Whatever length you pick thats what you develope you load around

At a certain point do the necks get too short where I need to toss the brass?

·
Registered
612 Posts

If you trim them to short you won't be able to get the neck tension you need and if way to short they won't even keep the projectile straight and can become dangerous but if you are just a few thousands short, they will grow as you reload them

·
Registered
612 Posts

In my opinion, others will agree and disagree, you need to have at least 2 reputable loading manuals (lee, lyman, hornady speer) i have 4 and there are also reliable online sources like hogdon. Any load manual will have minimum and maximum specs for load and trim lengths

·
Registered
612 Posts
Get too short by how? By you trimming it?
Yes.. if you read what I said, it says, "if you trim them to short" .. that being said, ive never trimmed one short enough that it was unusable.. ive had the occasion when setting my LE Wilson lathe type trimmer setup where ive trimmed a couple thou on the first case ... that was until I figured out how to ensure getting it reset to its previous trim length.. kinda figured out a no guessing way to go about it

·
Registered
612 Posts
Ive just logged that reading for each caliper i trim and it puts me on the money.. i don't ever move the adjustment knobs position on the shaft so its always the same..

·
Registered
858 Posts
Yes.. if you read what I said, it says, "if you trim them to short" .. that being said, ive never trimmed one short enough that it was unusable.. ive had the occasion when setting my LE Wilson lathe type trimmer setup where ive trimmed a couple thou on the first case ... that was until I figured out how to ensure getting it reset to its previous trim length.. kinda figured out a no guessing way to go about it

You're fine. Your accuracy may or may not suffer, but it won't cause the safety issue. It's the cases too long that may cause problems.

It will grow back once you shoot them.

·
Registered
612 Posts
You're fine. Your accuracy may or may not suffer, but it won't cause the safety issue. It's the cases too long that may cause problems.

It will grow back once you shoot them.
Believe it or not, a friend of mine trimmed his cases to within a 1/8 or 1/16th of a inch from the shoulder.. that is what im referring to as unusable and even unsafe

·
Registered
612 Posts
Believe it or not, a friend of mine trimmed his cases to within a 1/8 or 1/16th of a inch from the shoulder.. that is what im referring to as unusable and even unsafe

I guess not the actual shoulder but where the neck and shoulder meet.

·
Registered
858 Posts
1/8 off??? That's not trimming. That's actually cutting it to beyond unrecoverable. I wonder how that happened.

·
Registered
612 Posts
1/8 off??? That's not trimming. That's actually cutting it to beyond unrecoverable. I wonder how that happened.
I know. He did a handful that way. Thats what I was referring to when telling the other gentleman "as long as you don't get to long or to short.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I know. He did a handful that way. Thats what I was referring to when telling the other gentleman "as long as you don't get to long or to short.

Ted, I wasn’t kidding when I said my luck with guns sucks. That brand new Kel-Tec RFB is on its way back to the manufacturer. It keeps double feeding no matter what I do with the gas, and a piece that holds the charging handle in place by the rails broke off. Now I’m just waiting for them to say “oh, there was some reloaded cartridges used. No warranty”

1 - 20 of 54 Posts