Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard from numoruos people that the PSG-1 is a fragile rifle and is not the type to go through water or mud, and I also heard it is prone to damage due to these elements. Is there any fact to these statements?

·
Registered
314 Posts
i dunno if its fragile or not.... but i would assume its as tough as the G3 it was based on.... the truth is you wouldnt want to drag it in the mud or water.... not with a $10,000 rifle

·
Registered
565 Posts
It's built with more tight specs than the G-3. So it would most likely be more sensitive to grit and mud than the G-3. The latter isn't sensitive at all, in my opinion, no matter what I did it still went ka-boom and spat an empty case 10-15m :roll:

But I agree, a $10k+ rifle isn't worth getting dirty :wink:

·
Registered
524 Posts
!

Truth is you wouldn't want to drag any rifle in the water or mud. When using a semi auto you would be concerned about stuff getting into the action effecting the cycling of the next round. Stuff can get into a bolt action too but the rounds are chambered by hand so your not as likly to get that jammed round in the reciver. Out of all the semi-auto snipers, the PSG-1 is prolly one of the most reliable but bolt action work better in the dirt.

·
Registered
307 Posts
The PSG1 was never made for work out in a non-urban field, really. That and it is heavy. Very heavy by most standards. That, and what FLEA said. Semi auto sniper rifles aren't meant to be dragged in the dirt.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
about 18 lbs
thats over 50% heavier than the Stoner SR-25 or M21 which weigh about 11 lbs
this rifle shoudl be a very nice urban sniper rifle but not much else
another reason is that the scope is a fixed on and is a 6x with a BDC for 100-600m so it is not made for shots that exceed 600m which is fine for urban sniping though

·
Registered
565 Posts
The later models have STANAG mounts for basically any scope you could imagine. HK figured out after much complaining, that a 6x scope wasn't everyones particular brand of vodka.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Don't be so hard on yourself, Mel...HK hasn't really updated their site, either :roll:

I would assume the STANAG mount in question is the same as used on the MSG-90..in that case it's the STANAG 2324. But finding info on the thing seems to be easier said than done. :oops:

·
Registered
571 Posts
I've stated my view on the PSG-1 before, and will do so again:

It's nice for urban situations, and to show off on the firing range, but it's way too heavy for military field-use, and it is a bit sensitive to dirt etc(Nowhere near as sensitive as anything based on the Stoner design, but still sensitive). The MSG-90 would be a far better choice.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I've stated my view on the PSG-1 before, and will do so again:

It's nice for urban situations, and to show off on the firing range, but it's way too heavy for military field-use, and it is a bit sensitive to dirt etc(Nowhere near as sensitive as anything based on the Stoner design, but still sensitive). The MSG-90 would be a far better choice.
Outside of a slightly heavier, adjusted, barrel, an adjustable cheek piece on the stock, and scope rails, it's pretty well just a G3A3, no? Although it still does manage to top the field in terms of military capable semi-automatic sniper rifles.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
now that the scope is removed its got the option of a diffnet scope so it could engague targets byond well byond its once limited 600m range, but its still a heavy system and i think you could make a better sniper system out of an M14, 21 or 25 with a few thousand in modifications to it which would cost around what a PSG-1 costs heh

·
Registered
571 Posts
When talking about semi-auto sniper rifles: There's a quiet but persistent rumour doing the rounds about BRNO having obtained a license to manufacture SVD Dragunov rifles, and that they are planning to modernize it and make it more accurate. Anyone else seen anything about it? I'd be very interested if they actually went ahead with something like that.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
havnt herd anything about it but that sounds interesting
wonder how an accurized Dragunov would be heh if accuracy is actually good (1/2 moa range instead of the 2 moa from a standard SVD) and it should be better than Stoner's design reliability wise too...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts