Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

FFP Scopes vs Non

5K views 28 replies 6 participants last post by  Ted_Feasel 
#1 ·
What are the advantages and disadvantages of having a FFP scope?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 ·
Advantages are, at no mater what magnification ( on mil reticle for example) the distance from one dot to the next is one mil where as with sfp, the distances between marks change with the magnification. The only thing I could think of that could be considered a advantage of sfp( and to me its not a advantage) is that sfp scopes the reticle stays the same size all the way through your magnification settings. Another big advantage to me of the ffp mil tree like ebr2c is you can know the distance of a object as long as you know the size of the object.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

#3 ·
For example, if you know your object is 2 yard in width or height, you multiply 2 x 1000 then divide by number of dots it takes in your scope. Let's say it takes 5 dots... 2x1000=2000... 2000 ÷5 =400.. so you know your target is 400 yards away, that let's you quickly set your dope or adjust your hold once you have developed your range card for a given round/load

#4 ·
Advantage of FFP scope is since the reticle is in relation to the magnification, reticle values are true at any magnification. That will make making corrections fast and easy. Don't really need to do any sort of calculation of the reticle as you change the magnification. Very useful when shooting long range. The downside is at the larger magnification, the reticle can be thicker than you would like it to be depends on the brand. Sometimes, depends on the target size, the thick reticle at the larger magnification can obscure your target. Also, the price is usually higher than SFP.

Advantage of SFP is even when dialed up to large magnification, the reticle will remain thin and it won't obscure your target. SFP can be useful when hunting short to medium range and bench rest shooting. Unless you are long range hunter, your scope mag power is usually maximum of 10x to 14x. Most of the times, you will be cranking up to max for games beyond 100 yards, the reticle value is true and you can manipulate the ranging accordingly. That doesn't mean you can't use for long range shooting. I have 4x - 14x power SHV on my MK12 clone which is SFP shooting out to 800 yds. I just crank it up to 14 and leave it there and do or the correction.

#5 ·
I personally (and I do get its all what one prefers and is accustomed to) but since switching to ffp scopes (vortex and really starting to develope a high opinion of primary arms scopes) my shooting regardless of if its 25 yards or 1000 has become simpler. I just leave them cranked up to 26 for the most part and memorized my range card and just adjust my hold.. beyond 1k I have to adjust elevation on the turrets but up to 1k no turrets adjustments at all just adjust the hold. I recon you could do that with a sfp but I think you would basically have to have a range card for each magnification wouldnt you?.. legit asking i never went beyond 200 yards back when I used sfp and always left mag cranked to max

#8 ·
Thank you. So it seems FFP was an upgrade to the SFP. I tend to shoot better with lower magnification. I was shooting 1000 yards on the 6x. The 24x always was off a bit. Something made me think parallax had something to do with that. Today I noticed a dial on my scope that was next to the Illuminating dial on the left side with numbers from 50 to 1000. I read somewhere that this is for setting the parallax at each distance. I wanna see how that goes for me with hornady superformance ammo at 1000 yards.

#10 ·
Yes, if its FFP that is likely the paralax (or side focus) and that makes all the difference in the world at long range. Your paralax is equal to your objective lense size at 100 yards so example if you have a 55mm objective lense then you have the potential for 55mm of being off, at 200 yards the goes to 110mm , 400 yards 220mm and so on so you can see that having that paralax adjustment can make a big difference at long range

#13 ·
FFP is superior in almost every way. I would not go back to SFP for any reason. I hunt short range with FFP and love them. If something walks out a little farther away, then the lines are accurate. I hunt long range with FFP too. I killed a prairie dog at 980 yards with a 3-15 FFP set to 15x’s. The reticle was not “too thick” to see the prairie dog and the as not too thick to even know whether I was on right side of him or left. This year I used my 5-25 FFP and same thing. No problems with “thick reticle” that everyone seems to have trouble with.

As far as parallax goes, it makes a big difference. You must learn to adjust it if you want to shoot precisely. My Tangent Theta scopes are parallax free beyond 270 yards which is really nice.

If you are serious about using a mil or moa reticle for long range shooting OR hunting and want to take an extra variable out of the equation, then FFP is the best way to go.

#23 ·
Its simple trig dude.. paralax potential is ALWAYS governed by the angle of inclination relative to the outside edge of the gathering plane.. in other words the dead center of scopes image created by the objective lense gathering the light (image) and the inclination from that central focus point to the outside edge of the object gathering the light. Don't know any other way to put this in layman's terms unless you are not seeing that I am using the word "potential "

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.