Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a great day of sniper training today. Spent all day doing fieldcraft work. managed a good stalk on a fellow sniper acting as a our target. The guy being the target is a former USMC Scout Sniper, and now a Naval Reserve Special Warfare Operator. The other instructor is a former active duty Spec Ops sniper, and now is a Sniper Team Leader for a Reserve Spec Ops unit out of WV. Both are great sources of knowledge and infomation.

The stalk was tough, and covered about several hundred yards of varyign terrain including ravines, open fields, and scrub brush woods. We were required to get within 175 yds and take two shots(using blanks it was a non shooting school due to the area we were using) without being spotted. The hardest part was the crossing about 100 yds of open grass(about 18inches high) directly in front of the target. Careful use of a partial tree line allowed me to sneak along the edge up to a fence line. I then entered the fence line about 150 yds out got my target aquired and got off both shots. I had to be pointed out to the target, who still did not see me with binocs, he had to use a 60X spotting socpe, so I did not feel to bad. The whole stalk took me just under 2hrs, so any of you pros out there does this sound like fun?

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
I'm not a pro, but it sound like fun. :D

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Sounds like a "basic" DM class i went through... :)

BC

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
lol and this is what you guys get to call work! Awesome stuff!

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sometimes they have to throw us bone to keep us motivated. Actually this kind of stalking is growing more common in LE as these wacked out shooters like our 270 shooter, and the one in DC show the need for LE snipers to stalk and surveil from hides. We did a lot of good hide construction and obervation exersizes as well.

The funny thing is I was only wearing a cammo shirt, pants, head net, and boonie, but I was able to make the stalk as sucessfullly as the ghillie equipped guys, it just took me longer, as I had to use more of the topo features to conceal my movements and therefore took longer. I also sufffered more of a beating from the brush I think, as I went through the MultiFloral Rose thickets(briar patches) to conceal my outline instead of around them. The worst part was that the 100 yd open grass field was full of water, so I looked like swamp thing and so did my rifle when I got done.

I had a blast this was some real good intense training that we all need sometimes,

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
mlammers said:
... as I had to use more of the topo features to conceal my movements and therefore took longer.
Do this even if you DO have a ghillie.
BTW - GOOD JOB!!

MEL

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the vote of confidence Mel. I had never really done much stalking before, except for on deer.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Well, it sounds like you picked up the concept very well. The thing that always amazed me were the people that tried to crawl right through a clearing when there was a slight rise slightly to the side that would completely mask their movement. Stalking is pretty simple when you can put a big object between you and the target. Its kind of hard to see through hills, big trees, etc even with binocs and spotting scopes. (or thermal optics, IR, etc). Yeah, there will be times when you have no other choice, but why do it when you do not have to??

MEL

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
I'm a little late to the table, I know.

mlammers, was this in Ohio (or anywhere remotely near Mi)?

-snowy

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Snowy,

Yep it was in North Central Ohio, just north of Delaware(35 Miles N/O Columbus). The terrain was a hilly Pheasant Shooting preserve dominated by sourgum fields, large patches of marshland and ponds, intersperced with woods, fence rows and Multifloral Rose(briars). There were several ravines running through the property as well that had stands of pine on the faces. I will see if I can get some pics from the instructors to post, they are good friends of mine (and I also just installed a Badger Ordnance Knob on one of their rifles).

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
sounds like some rough country to be crawling around in...didn't kick up any pheasants? :lol:

·
Registered
576 Posts
A few years back, my friend and I were 'stalking' tourists, down in a giant national park. He 'triggered' a grouse or a pheasant, and I thought he was dead. Flew backwards, splay-armed, into a bush, and that Goddamn little bird went up into the sky like a rocket.

I'm pretty sure that'll give you away. How does wildlife react to their immediate area suddenly changing, when you decide it's time to move? I imagine they'd get pretty comfortable in your ghillie. :wink:

Actually, there's a valid question.

Considering that wildlife WILL notice you, while stalking, what is the best thing to do, to either lower their reaction, (Like not having a grouse go off like a silent hand greande, or deer sprint off and alert that enemy patrol about fifty yards away) or have them just "not care?" If it's at all possible.

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
AK said:
Actually, there's a valid question.

Considering that wildlife WILL notice you, while stalking, what is the best thing to do, to either lower their reaction, (Like not having a grouse go off like a silent hand greande, or deer sprint off and alert that enemy patrol about fifty yards away) or have them just "not care?" If it's at all possible.
Very good point. I bow hunt so have some experance in that regard. The @$#$$#$$ squirrls and crows are the worst. On the other hand listen to your enviroment can tell you a lot. I knew a mountain lion was stalking me once by how quiet it got.

More to your question what I have noticed most people are so out of touch with their natural part of their surroundings they don't notice. Take for instance an infantry company clanging through the woods. They will probably scare every deer, sqirrle and mouse for miles around. I would also try to avoud any wildlife to spook so I didn't give any signs. BTW that is just guessing on my part from non sniper related bush whacking. Mel, any input?

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Pics would be great! :D

Do they offer training for any of us civies?

-snowy

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Ekaphoto, I hear you on the squirrels. Nature's little tattletale. But, like you said, it really can work to your advantage when something is headed your way.

This whole thing reminds me of the Vietnamese sniper who spread rice to attract birds as a defense from Carlos Hathcock stalking him.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I will see what I can do about getting pics, I will also tell you that the training is LE/Military restricted(one of the guys was brushing up on skills as he is heading over to the box on a contract basis) so I cant help there, sorry.

By the way I saw several pheasants. It was kind of neat to be crawling along, and hear one several yards away courting a hen.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
I swear I can't find any feildcraft training short of driving 10 hours.
:(
Oh well.

-snowy

1 - 19 of 19 Posts