Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so i am going to try and build me a ar15 Piece by Piece.
Is it worth it to do this or should i just by the rifle already made. I am kind of preferable to the DPMS. Anyway what parts do i need for a complete rifle. thanks
O and its going to be 223 caliber.
Planning on getting a IOR 6-24x50 Tactical 35mm Rifle Scope for it.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
One more thing i want a be able to put a silencer on it, preferably quick detach. Does the barrels on ar15 come threaded? and what is a good 223 quick detach silencer.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Well I think it is worth it. You will be able to completely customize your gun to what you would like. I think it is also cheaper than buying one already made. I used this site to find everthing I needed and for the instructions on how to put it together. http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=226782 I can't help you with your silencer question but I hope the link will help you out.

Here is a link to so pictures of my AR build.
http://s258.photobucket.com/albums/hh269/Brewtus_06/AR Build/

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok that is a great site. Now im wondering were a good place is to buy the parts for my build. aka lower and upper receiver etc.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Again I am going to suggest http://www.ar15.com Right in the middle of the home page are a bunch of links to good sites for all of your AR parts. I used LRB lower, CMT upper, Del-ton barrel, Rock River lower parts kit, etc and I got all of my parts except my lower (direct from LRB).

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What is the difference between post ban and pre ban? thanks
and what is a two stage trigger? or should i just get a standard trigger.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok so this is the setup i am going to go with please correct me if i need any thing else.

lrb arms lower stripped receiver
rock river arms Lower Receiver Parts Kit / NM Two Stage Trigger and ergo tactical grip
dpms 20" lowrider barrel assembly
magpul prs stock

·
Registered
850 Posts
Congrats man! I too am getting ready to build "my own" first AR15!!! I've built them for others - but never one for me.

If you don't want to buy a slew of "special" tools - buy a stripped lower and assemble it using a "completed" upper. It's a piece of CAKE.

I live in CA - so I have some restrictions to work with. First my receiver has to be "off-list", then I need to use a 10-round magazine that cannot be removed from the receiver without a tool. Fortunately - it can be done, and I've alway wanted to have a rifle to compete with. I can't begin to tell you how much it SUCKS to live in a state that thinks my competition sport shooting is somehow "evil"................ Give me a break! :x

Anyways, I have a DOJ contact that is helping me stay 100% legal, and I'm happy that I'll finally have to opportunity to compete against others in the sport of marksmanship.

·
Registered
5,043 Posts
What is the difference between post ban and pre ban?
In 1994, an assault weapons ban made certain features of an AR-15 illegal to possess on rifles built after May of 1994. The number of 'military features' - such as bayonet lugs,pistol grips,folder/telescoping stocks,FA parts,grenade launching attatchments,flashhiders,hi-cap magazines and other items in combination in combinations over 3 would constitute an 'assault rifle. This is why you see many new ARs with no flashhider, no bayo lug, a 10 rd magazine, and in some states, no pistol grip, and/or a thumbhole stock. Some states, like New York and California , still have these bans in place - even though the federal government repealed the countrywide ban a few years ago. In New York, a preban receiver is more valuable, as it is grandfathered and can have military parts - with the exceptions of a short barrel (under16") , a folding stock, or full auto capability.

Jeff

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have had good luck with PK firearms and bushmaster.com , do your research , read about stuff for at least a month and dont rush into it. Certain parts makers like dpms and RRA and very backlogged on parts like 6 months . make sure all your parts wil fit and you will need to buy tools also.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts