Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may get a bit long winded, so please forgive me, but having you all read this is pretty important to me.

A little history about myself. I joined the U.S.M.C in 1998. I wanted the full Grunt experience and had already talked to my recruiter about wanting to be Force Recon and Scout Sniper trained and maybe even some Counter Intel for spice. As usual I was assured it could and would happen if I worked hard enough. Imagine my surprise when they hand out MOS's and I am waiting for my 03 series and they call out my name followed by 6821.

For those of you who do not have all the MOS's memorized that is a weather weenie. I was destined to be a P.O.G because my ASVAB scores were so high and the weather sides’ number was so low.

Anyway, after some long research and work and the careful teachings of a PMI I knew I was almost ready to submit my package to lat. move into infantry to pursue my goals I met my, now, wife. This derailed me once again and then not too long afterwards some medical complications due to the Anthrax Vaccine caused me to get an early out.

Ok, that is my history. I grew up fantasizing about being a sniper or recon Marine and despite a good hearted effort it just never happened.

Now, fast-forward to present and you come to the reason I come to you guys today...

One of my favorite quotes from Lt. Gen. Hal Moore was when he was asked why he decided to write 'We were soldiers..." and make the movie and he responded with, "Because I have seen ever movie ever made about Vietnam and Hollywood got it wrong every damned time!"

Well, I have kind of felt that way about sniper movies, not that there are very many sniper based movies and the books seem to be more auto-biographical so I decided to try to rectify that situation quick, fast and in a hurry.

I am soliciting e-mails and asking each and every one of you that uses MSN Messenger to please add me to their friends’ lists. I would love to hear stories, ideas and more then anything else how to make the hero (a sniper if you haven't guessed) as true to life as I possibly can.

I will more then happily attribute any credit to you guys and if, by some miracle, I ever get to actually finish and publish the book I have already pegged the Adopt a Sniper campaign as a charity to receive some cash from revenue.

I see the character being a "Jack Ryan" type with fictitious plots and what not but I want to keep the core of the character real. Realistic gear, mannerisms, encounters and all that jazz. I could easily create a super sniper that can hit headshots from 2500+ yards but I want as close to the real thing as possible.

Anyway, sorry to go on for so long. I thank you for your time and look forward to chatting with any of you as well as reading any e-mails.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I guess I could have provided my e-mail address and MSN Names huh?

[email protected] and Armchair.Sniper for the MSN Name. I will also be willing to create yahoo and aim accounts for those of you who don't like MSN.

·
Registered
994 Posts
1) Welcome to the boards!
2) Although I don't want to discourage you from writing a novel (an excellent project, I think), to quote a wise man who populates these boards...

Muzzleblast said:
Challenge is in making it legit lol...How about a movie where the first half hour is the team crawling...the next half hour is the team lying down at night...and the next half hour is the team very slowly getting ready to shoot...rifle fires. Credits roll.
Although he depicted the challenges of writing a screenplay (vs. a novel), I think you will find yourself in similar predicaments as the screen writer, lest you want to take the book into non-military related directions (perhaps you could take a Henry Miller approach to it, portraying the odd mentality of the sniper); that does not seem to be the direction you want your book to go, however, so I don't know if the advice is worth while.

I think the most riveting tales of heroism would come from those similar to who you wanted to be: grunts on the front line.

Best of luck and let us know how it goes!

Scatch Maroo

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Haha, ok not that realistic of course. Maybe a few drawn out stalks and what not but I would take artistic license with most of them... but not to the "Sniper leaves tent... poof sniper is 600 yards from target" extent.

I could see it now,

After recieving his assignement "Sniper" moves into reasonable postiton and begins his stalk. He slowly begins to creep forward, centimeter by centimeter. An hour later he is about 6 inches closer to his target....

5 pages later...

ever so slowly, still creeping at a snails pace. He is almost 1000 yards form the target. Only 300 more to go!

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Would you please translate your message? There's a lot of Marinespeak in there and I don't understand what you're talking about.

:lol:

Mad

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
madgunsmith said:
Would you please translate your message? There's a lot of Marinespeak in there and I don't understand what you're talking about.

:lol:

Mad
I can tell I am going to love these boards already. 8)

·
Registered
140 Posts
Armchair.Sniper said:
Imagine my surprise when they hand out MOS's and I am waiting for my 03 series and they call out my name followed by 6821.
Were you the poor bastard on the " Your Corps " channel that read off the weather for the week? :lol: I allways enjoyed laughing at him every night. I cant even beleive the USMC has a dedicated MOS to that bitch job!!! :p

" Reporting for your Corps..."

The Rifleman

MOS 2111 - 4 Years - Armorer for a marksmanship training unit
MOS 0331 - 1 Year - M-60 Gunner with 1st Batt / 1st Marines
MOS 0311 - 3 Years - Rifleman with 1st Batt / 1st Marines

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem."
--President Ronald Reagan, 1985

Recoil, don't worry I am very proud of my Marine Corps carreer. Sure I didn't get to officially do all the things I wanted to do but every Marine is a basic rifleman after all. The above quote says it all and you are correct, while I wasn't happy being a P.O.G I had to realize that without my support the guys on the ground would suffer due to ill prepared airstrikes or (if myself or my guys screwed up too bad) no air support at all.

Even us P.O.G. types got to experience carrying the 124lb 50 cal around and low crawl through the mud and dirt and inflict unholy terror on the MOUT course.

There were things I was privy to as a weather bubba that blew my mind. Don't get me wrong =) the weather gig is quite a bit more then "Partly sunny skies and a chance of evening showers." 8)

American Rifleman, nope that wasn't me. Not sure what exactly those guys are, probably combat reporter types. I was stuck in 'Silent Rooms" plotting charts and creating optical packages for the pilot types.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Armchair,

Welcome to the boards.

I'd be happy to help in anyway. My YM is associated with my name. I have helped probably 20-30 authors.... to be honest, unfortunately, I don't think any of them have been published.... yet. I have helped a few ligitimate authors with very minor things in regards to just minor characters, but its always been a pleasure. In fact, someday, I will eventually write a novel, but as with many of my other projects, they are on hold for a while, as I generally have a million other projects in front of it.

feel free to email or YM me

MEL

·
Registered
365 Posts
Hey there leatherneck. Im going in MC DEP in a few months and im gunning for 0300. Specificly, 0311. Then after a few yrs of experience id give 0321 a shot. I dont want to be Force, but just batt. recon would suffice for me. About being a S/S I might do it, but we'll see. For me I'd rather kick down a door then storm in with other Marines. I'd rather lay down massive cover fire with a SAW (if assigned it)...Get what I mean? :)
Then you might ask, why am I at SC? Well the whole thing of long range marksmanship is something I always have a interest in. And maby when I get back to the civy world after my Corp's years that im about to start in a year, I might take up a rifle and kick ass on the range.

Say, where did you go for BC? MCRDPI or MCRDSD? I'm going to PI and hopefully SOI East if they don't change my MOS after I leave PI. I feel for you man, that is my worst nightmare is my MOS that I chose at MEPS, being changed before I leave MCRD. You have a right to nag and bitch about your MOS change, just remember General Order #12 . heh

Heh me and you can talk on and on about the Corps, wanabe to Marine :-D

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
*EDIT* JC, sorry I hadn't set up AIM yet but when I did I got your message. I am on now if you read this. /*EDIT*

OOOORAH!!! KILL!

I went to PI, where Marines are made. Pray to God you get 3rd Btn. they train harder, longer and have the absolute best DI's in all of the Corps. In boot I was in Kilo Company Platoon 3052, Senior Drill Instructor Sgt. Buck and had Sgt. Edwards and Sgt. Allen for "Green Belts".

The sand fleas will be plentiful, DO NOT SCRATCH!!! For the love of all that is good and holy and dear to the Corps do not scratch. You will have DI's on you like white on rice in a glass of milk on a paper plate in the middle of a snow storm if you do.

Rent movies such as Full Metal Jacket and The D.I. As "old" as those movies are alot of the basic training methods and principles hold tru to this day.

Chili Mac, learn to love it. Gatorade, have your family send loads of powder and your platoon will love you. It will be the closest thing to soda they will see for 3 months.

If you love the SAW think about the "Golf", hearing that baby go off is a sweet, sweet sound. If you want to be a real glutton for punishment volunteer for the 50 cal.

SOI will be a blast, I was resigned to MCT wich is a shortened version of MCI (where I got my SAW, Golf and 50 cal experience). Camp Devil Dog is a great experience. Always, always volunteer when asked. Sure you will get a few **** details doing so but you will always end up with the sweet assignment that every later wishes they had volunteered for.

You sound liek you have done your homework well on my beloved corps so just oen last piece of advice... do not mention any of it when you get to PI.

Remember you will be a recruit, scum, maggot, the lowest form of life a Marine could possibly have to be around so don't try to act like one. You will simply piss off the DI's. Trust me on this, if your recruiter gives you a nice little shirt with an EGA (Eagle, Globe and Anchor) on it and says "Here, wear this to report in." and gives you a **** eating grin, there is a reason... you will be mauled in recieving for wearing the EGA. You are not worthy of the EGA.

Then, once all that is done and over with and 3 months later you cross the finish line of The Crucible and see the man who treated you like the scum of the earth presents you with your first official EGA and you see the tear of pride that wells up in his eye because you made it into the elite brotherhood of the USMC. Lee Greenwood's "God Bless the USA" trumpets over the loudspeakers and then you march down tot he chow hall for the Warriors Breakfast be proud, be god damned proud because you are finaly a Marine.

Be sure to e-mail me and we can chit chat. Hope I didn't make it sound to laid back and easy going for you :lol:

·
Registered
365 Posts
Loads of advice there man :) The advice about not letting the DI know your a konw it all, very good advice and i'll remember that! Heh
I always wounderd why the recruites where their shirts they got in DEP to MCRD.

Yes the sand fleas, knowing me i'll scratch at first, but after some quarterdecking i'll be squared away. hah

I seen FMJ many times, one main change from the Old Corps to today is there is no hitting or swearing from the DI's. The movie DI I have to see, i've heard about it.

Ahh yes, the Cruciable. Remindes me I need to read INTO THE CRUCIABLE. I already read BOOT but need to read an upto date book; MAKING THE CORPS.

Aight im on AIM wit you now.

·
Registered
994 Posts
jc71corvette said:
I seen FMJ many times, one main change from the Old Corps to today is there is no hitting or swearing from the DI's.
No swearing? What constitutes profanity?

Scatch Maroo

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah, had to set him straigh on that. The first thing my SDI said to us was, "If any of you are offended by profanity, tough bleepin ****!"

As for the "hitting" it's aggressive correctiosn now. Pretty much the same product just different wrapper.

And thanks for the offer Mele. I appreciate any and all feedback, stories, ideas... anything at all.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts