1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,710 Posts
Nice!

·
Registered
344 Posts
Was your objective to camouflage or decorate?
For camouflage you'll want highly contrasting colors covering patches of the object that are approximately 15% of the total surface area.
Highlight these constrasting patches with dark shadow marks to provide depth.
The effect is to break up the recognizable outline of the object as well as to blend it with the anticipated background.
Fine artistic efforts too often blurr into a "one-color" effect when viewed from a distance.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was going for cammo. Something that will work in a texas winter. I did get carried away with the sea sponge. Then I tried to fix it with shading. What colors would you suggest for a A TACS FG?

·
Registered
6,268 Posts
So the larger patters are better?
Yes.

Anything can be camoflaged in the shadows from a few feet away. Step back 100yds or more and just about ALL "popular" camo patterns turn into a black blob. The entire idea of camo is to break up the outline. Disrupt the solid outlines that make recognizable shapes.

Take a look at multicam. That stuff vanishes as you get further away from it. Take a look at Predator Fall camo... not the new crap they have, but the old classic predator camo. Prairie ghost, etc... all good stuff.

Here's a thread from a while back: http://www.sniperforums.com/forum/camouflage/47315-atacs-multicam.html

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am really trying for A TACS FG. I am thinking multi medium green l, multi dark green, a fde and dark brown. That would be two sets of contrasting colors.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I like multicam. I wore it on my 2nd trip to Afghanistan. I actually have a lot of left over uniforms and combat shirts. I was thinking of making a ghillie out of a pair but I really don't have a practical use for it. The only place I can hunt in houston is sam houston national forest. I agree with that thread, that could get me into some trouble.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I have gotten to the point where I feel less is more. Also what may look good to my eye may not look as good as in the field. I tend to go for more subtle blending. But in my AO I do like having some greens in the mix also.

To that end I like the bolt gun better though.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Totally agree. As with the OP, the first time out of the box I think we all get a little color happy. The AR would have been better of with a couple of shades of green and that's it.

The paint on the Remmy works great though. I have some property on the Black River in Southern MO and during the late fall/winter I have actually walked past the rifle a time or two coming back to my ground blind after a nature call.

OP I think the rifle looks fine, but as Orkan stated, at distance it'll turn dark brown to the eye and create a stark outline to the viewer. I believe a a couple of colors, one dark and one light will probably do the trick for you. But hey, that's the cool thing about Krylon. A little thinner and some elbow grease and you have a new canvas to paint. I have had three different schemes on the 700.

Keep practicing and feel free to steal an idea or two from some of the artisans on the site. Sooner or later you'll find the right pattern and colors for your needs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've never done any of mine but trying to work up the courage. I really hate ugly black and think I could do well at it and have fun with it. I think it turned out great- has the look of ATACS. Is that what you were going for? Either way, good job.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts