Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to get my first bolt action rifle this spring. I am just interested in target/precision shooting, this won't be for hunting. I want something that I can shoot often and for cheap, so I was thinking .22lr, but this really limits my distance so I was thinking .223. I was just looking for suggestion for my first target rifle, just to get familar with accuracy. If I do get a .233 the longest distance by my house is a field that is about 200yds.

For the guns I was thinking either:
CZ 452 varmint-.22
or
Savage 10fp-.233

mattyb

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
If you want to learn the fundementals of shooting, then I suggest getting a target .22 and shooting in competition. If you wanting to shoot at short/medium ranges, then it would probably be wise to go with the .223.

MEL

·
Registered
109 Posts
That's a tough one.

I agree that a good .223 bolt action would be more versatile and teach you the basics of long range shooting, but a very good quality .22 rimfire can be had for the price of the Savage.

I say yer' gonna' have to consider your finances. You can shoot ten rounds of .22 for every round of .223. And there are some nice new and used match-grade .22's out there....that CZ 452 is a great first rifle! I wish I had been so lucky.

Good luck, and have fun!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hello MattB,

I learned to shoot with a Cooey 64B 22LR semi-auto with a 4X scope when I was about 10 years old. That little rifle was a great platform for me to learn my basic's. My father was ex-Canadian airforce and served on their shooting team. Dad taught me all I needed to know and those lessons still sit with me today.
I still hunt grouse and rabbit with that little rifle to this day.
If you want a 223. An option you might want to look at is a Howa 1500 in a synthetic stock and heavy barrel.I've had amazing results with them. You can get one for around $350.00-$400.00 from a walmart or a big discounter as such. try this link

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product_ ... tedIndex=0

If that's a little steep on the price, you can pick up a little Ruger 10/22 for around $150.00 The funny thing is the Cooey 64B is very much like the Ruger 10/22. If you go the Ruger route you can buy drop in parts like barrels,stocks,triggers,ect. at later dates when the funding becomes present.
Hey that's my 2 cents hope it helps.
One last thought,
maybe a little investment in education might present some great benefits.
If you can, try and pick up the book "The Military and Law Enforcment Sniper", by Mike Lau.
It's a great resource of information for precision shooting.
Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Kenshin

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
The choice on a 22lr is hands down a ruger 10/22. There are more aftermarket parts made for this little rifle than you can count, it is the remington 700 of the rimfire world. I have two, one of the HB target models with lots of aftermarket parts and one plain jane for hunting. The choice is clear for rimfire to me. OR you could look at the 10/22magum!

Again, if you go the 223 route take the remington road. More aftermarket parts than any other brand of rifle.

It is nice somtimes to just sit at the range and pop 500 rnds down range with a nice accurate 22lr.

·
Registered
522 Posts
If funds are not in abundance then you can even consider a used.

Savage is great for out of the box performance.

If you can save up, I would recommend a Remington 700P in 223. Its not the most affordable starter platform but it is arguably one of the best.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
my first rifle was a rem m597. great little gun really fun to shoot. i can get 1 inch groups at 50 yards with federal 36gr hollow points. it's the most accurate $150 .22 you'll ever get.

~dom~

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
how about a 17 HMR for someone to learn on? longer range than a 22, and it'll teach em how to handle wind :lol:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just an opinion! I have shot the CZ 22Lr for target.
Using eley match grade bullets this rifle shoots a good
and consistant 4" groop at 200yr yes 200 yards.
You need a good scope but don't underestimate the ironsites
the slide adjustment works like it should.
You can shoot coyote siloet all day at 200yr.
just an idea :wink:

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Once again, Deleated cause someones raising the dead.

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
Go with the .22 You can really learn to shoot with a .22 or even a good quality air rifle. The fundimentals of position, site picture, breathing and trigger control are the same at 50 yards or 500 yards. Learn to walk before you run. Also try to find someone that can really shoot to teach you the correct way the first time, and not get bad habits from the start. If you don't know someone then get a video and books to teach you the correct method. I am a big fan of dry fire, however don't dry fire a .22 without snap caps, it can damage the rifle. Also remember safety is number one.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
i agree go with the .22. the ammo is cheaper and u can shoot alot more for less. but the .17 is much more accurate aand better for long range.

~dom~

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Being a Michigan boy myself, I'd caution you about shooting long distance outside of a range.

Unless you live in the UP and don't have neighbors around for miles. Michigan is a bit flat.
Most of Michigan's rural areas have crossroads and other properties surrounding them nearby.

An unobstructed 22 can go about a mile before it stops.

Keep that in mind.

What part of Mi are you from?

-snowy

1 - 14 of 14 Posts