Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the MAK for a spin today..............

Seem like a good gun, I mean for like taking in the back of your truck hunting/camping and for plinking, plus ammo is cheap. But I have a couple of questions......

1. Jammed at leat 10 time because it would fail to eject the brass. Is this a problem w/ my extractor claw?

2. Often would not feed bullets up the ramp. The tip would hit the ramp and it would push the bullets back in the case. This was more common that I think it should be.

3. On the last magazine......EVERY round for 10 rounds jammed. The gun is in great shape and clean. And the mags are pretty much new, the waffle style 30rounders. Any ideas?

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
Most feed problems are magazine related, not rifle related. Number your mags and see if the FTF is with all mags or only certin ones.

Also try polishing the feedramp, or better yet, have someone that knows what they are doing. It looks easy, and really is, but if you change the angle on the feedramp you ruined the rifle.

When you say MAK, I assume you are talking the AK clone, not the mac- 10 or 11 that is a 45 or 9mm SMG. If it is the mac smg you need +p ammo since SMG ammo is loaded hotter for reliable feeding. If it is the AK weapon, the spring may be weak, or if it is a new weapon may have burrs where the bolt slides. Try putting a little grease where the bolt slides on the reciever. The right amount is easy, use a small hobby paint brush and it will leave just about the right amount. (not a foam brush)

The AK design is very reliable, and I am surprised you are having relibality problems. They may not be accurate, but function they will do.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The AK design is very reliable, and I am surprised you are having relibality problems. They may not be accurate, but function they will do.
Yea I don't quite get it. Nice gun and all, but what abou the failures to extract the spent case? That seemed to be the biggest deal.

EDIT: MAK-90 sorry

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
APK-223 said:
Yea I don't quite get it. Nice gun and all, but what abou the failures to extract the spent case? That seemed to be the biggest deal.

EDIT: MAK-90 sorry
What exactly does it do? Does it pull the case at all, or does the case not even come out of the chamber? Describe EXACTLY what happens.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Most of the time it appeared to not release the spent case. When the bolt would go back holding the spend case, it simply didn't release it.

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
I think the problem is a combination of faulty mags, maybe the lips are bent or the spring/follower is at a bad angle, and the ejector, not the extractor. The Extractor seems to be doing just what it should.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Even if its not throwing the cases out Muzz? The mags seem to be angled fine and the springs feel good, but it jammed way more than i though! I'd rather not pay someone to polish it, this is just supposed to be my beater/plinker gun, no money invested. Hell, I'd trade it for somehting else in a heartbeat, but I thought they were supposed to be like invincible......

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
APK-223 said:
Even if its not throwing the cases out Muzz? The mags seem to be angled fine and the springs feel good, but it jammed way more than i though! I'd rather not pay someone to polish it, this is just supposed to be my beater/plinker gun, no money invested. Hell, I'd trade it for somehting else in a heartbeat, but I thought they were supposed to be like invincible......
Extracter and ejector are two diffrent things. If it pulls the case, but does not eject, that points to an ejector.

Another thing it might be is the burrs like i mentioned before. That and faulty mags could cause the problems you are describing. In fact it could be burrs or even just a tight fit when things were put together. Everything is made into tolarances. If you go a reciever that was within tolarance but on the wide end of it, and a bolt on the narrow end of the tolarance scale, it might be a little tight.

Pull your bolt out and feel along the bolt, rail, and anyother place where things move around for burrs. If you find a burr use a very fine, and very small shapning stone and take it off with one or two passes. Keep everthing flat and just barley move it, touching the offending area only where you have to, in the smallest spot. If you dont get it all, thats ok, put it together and fire it.

If no burrs are found, grease the rails with a light gun grease. All you may need is a few rounds through the rifle to work the parts together. Go put 2-300 round through it and see if it helps. Many high dollar match pistols need a few rounds to break it in and become reliable. The AK is a reliable design, but sometimes you do get a lemon, or one that needs a little TLC.

Also dont forget to number mags and see if any mags are worse than others.

EDIT: I forgot to mention the reason it might be a burr not causing the ejecton is if the bolt does not go back fast enough, the ejector will not work properly on some weapons. I dont know if the AK is like that or not.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks EK!! :)

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
The failure to feeds where the bullet ends up pushed into the case, I am sure that's the mags.It could be the feed ramp, but it would do if more often. I had an Enfield that was similar...Bolt rifle though, so it didn't muck up the bullets, I just couldn't load it. Feed lips on the mag had been bent. Quick adjustment with the old Leatherman and it was back in action.

Guys, where IS the ejector on the AK? I know on the SKS it's a spring loaded plunger on the bolt face...Totally different mechanism than an AK, of course, but I can't play with AKs here.

That's the real problem...Thanks for clearing up the difference between extractor and ejector, Eka. I should have explained more.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I believe I may have found the problem......

When I pull the bolt back slowly, I found a major hang up. The gas plunger, where it connets to the bolt carrier........ stops action in its tracks unless I force the action back hard. Should I just lube it up?

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
Clean it out well and oil it LIGHTLY. It may just have some grime where it pivets. I am not up to speed on all the details of the AK, so I don't know if it is a greasable part or not. Also check to see if the plunger is bent etc. Even if it need replaced it is probably an easy and cheap fix.

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Eka has it right on.

I'm not familiar exactly with which part that is, but if you can strip things any further get a good look at it and see if you can find any burrs or damage, or any reason for the hold up. Pretty much all Eka said, I can't contribute much.

Check out what Mad mentioned, on the left side. Make sure the ejector protrudes enough to contact the empty casings, that it functions properly if it uses a spring, etc.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have quite a bit of experiance with the AK series of weapons. Here are a few questions i have for you.

1- What brand of rifle is it?
2- What importer imported it?
3- What kind of magazine is it? Belgian? Eastern German? Waffle mags arnt usually that good in my experiance.
4- What brand ammo are you using?
5- Is the feed ramp flat slanted steel or is it concave and chrome?

Pics would be good too.

I hate to say it, i really do. But it sounds to me like you got a lemon. :x

The Rifleman

1 - 16 of 16 Posts