Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do any of you LEO types out there use fixed power scopes? If so, what kind and what power? I work in a small city, so any shots will probably be made from relatily short range (- 100yds).

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
I'm not currently LEO, though I am LE trained (FBI SWAT Sniper School). I used my M24 when I went through the course (I was still in the Army at the time, and was the only military guy in the school). We have a fixed 10x (Leupold Mk4 M3A). I had no problems passing the school with a 10x. BUT, for a typical LE environment, I would probably suggest a 6x, but would suggest running a few test engagements with each power to determine for yourself. I personally feel a fixed power scope will serve you quite well. What you lose in some flexibility, you gain in simplicity and durability.

MEL

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
amt8951 said:
Do any of you LEO types out there use fixed power scopes? If so, what kind and what power? I work in a small city, so any shots will probably be made from relatily short range (- 100yds).
10 Power is pretty much "standard" as far as precision rifleman work goes... but if your shooting that close... 100 yards or closer... i would go with a variable scope... probably an adjustable 3.5-10... like the Leupold VX-III 3.5-10X40 M-1. It also has a side focus wich is great for quick refocusing... needed when tracking some one through windows or similar area's.

BC

1 - 4 of 4 Posts