Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
not sure about the cons???

it does make the barrel "more stiffer" & disapate heat faster (more surface area)

OH..........and they cost more!

·
Registered
109 Posts
If done incorrectly with regard to reaming and rifling, they can affect bore diameter variations that are detrimental to accuracy.

As far as increasing surface area and aiding cooling, sniping rigs don't normally get fired rapidly anyway.

I have a fluted barreled rifle, but I'm not a big fan of flutes.

·
Registered
383 Posts
caver101 said:
not sure about the cons???

it does make the barrel "more stiffer" & disapate heat faster (more surface area)

OH..........and they cost more!
How is reducing the material making the barrel stiffer? Ive participated in many a debate on other forums about this exact point. When the physics majors start to throw up confusing "evil math" I tend to just sit back and read instead of partaking.

Taking away material does not make something stronger.

From Lilja (http://www.riflebarrels.com/articles/ba ... rifles.htm):
If the barrel is fluted a maximum heavy varmint blank is usually used and for good reason. As we saw above, the larger the diameter, the stiffer it is going to be. Using a heavy varmint blank then gives us the maximum diameter allowed. Fluting a barrel removes weight, up to one pound or so depending on flute size. It also lowers a barrel's moment of inertia value but not by very much. Some have the mistaken idea that fluting alone increases the stiffness of a barrel. This is not true. The fluted barrel of a given weight and length will be stiffer than an unfluted barrel of the same weight. The fluted barrel will not be stiffer than the same taper and length barrel that is not fluted though.
SC.com forums have many topics about barrel fluting if you do a search. Fluting likes to get dirty, and that is not a good thing. If your benching or need a lighter varmit barrel go with flutes.

And since I am just reposting websites I have already posted before about this:

http://www.probed2000.com/flute.htm
http://www.charm.net/~kmarsh/fluting.html

more to come

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
WELL BY-DARN-IT THAT ANT RIGHT........................

No just joking :lol:

Please coninue..........I want to know more....................(they say you learn something new every day, well I just did) :D

PS: OK folks lets keep this clean and above the belt :wink:

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Hi
I'am under the same asumption the a fluted barrel is more ridged. We could compair stock that are solid wood and one that is laminated, which one is stronger and if the laminated is stronger you could make it in lighter contour with same strenght as the solid. Fluting a barrel is making more edges to have to flex the more edge that have to start to bend the harder it is to bend.
just my 2 cents worth
Cliffy

·
Registered
383 Posts
Cliffy said:
Hi
I'am under the same asumption the a fluted barrel is more ridged. We could compair stock that are solid wood and one that is laminated, which one is stronger and if the laminated is stronger you could make it in lighter contour with same strenght as the solid. Fluting a barrel is making more edges to have to flex the more edge that have to start to bend the harder it is to bend.
just my 2 cents worth
Cliffy
A fluted barrel is stiffer than a non fluted barrel of the same weight.

If you read the second link Cliff, it explains your ridge theory.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Sub is correct. The fluted barrel is stiffer when being compared to a barrel of the same weight and length. fior example, if you take two identical barrels, then flute one of them. The non-fluted barrel is going to be stiffer than the one that is fluted. (note they are no longer the same weight).

A different example if you take a #7 nonfluted barrel and compare it with a #8 fluted, the #8 is likey a bit more stiff than the #7, (Assuming they are the same wieght)

JeffVN

·
Registered
50 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, barrel fluting was started by benchrest shooters who had to meet weight classes. To discourage large calibers, they put put weight limits on the rifles. Who's brave enough to shoot 416 rigby from a 4 pound rifle? Not me :roll:

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
id do it .....

once...

and then curse alot the next day.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Scharfschütze said:
Who's brave enough to shoot 416 rigby from a 4 pound rifle? Not me :roll:
I have fired a .458 LOTT out of a Ruger No. 1 rifle... kicked the living $%&@ out of my shoulder... and bruised my shoulder and the right side of my face so bad it looked like i got in a fight with a gorrilla :lol: Granted i was a dummy and shot it in the prone position... :oops:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts