Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the FN (#FN21853) Patrol Bolt action Rifle (308Win 24" med heavy bbl) any good? Can not find a lot of info on them.................help a brother out.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
They garentee a 1 MOA 5 shot group... nothing impressive. Its a "cheap" copy of the M-40A3... not only how it looks but how it is built. Doesnt mean its not a good rifle... but it doesnt impress me any. And with how much they charge for those things... they should be imprisoned for robbery. Id much rather buy an SC rifle with a .5 MOA garentee. My 2 cents... maybe a few more. :)

BC

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
$649 NIB is not to bad.................How does it hold up to a LTR or 700P?

this is all I can find
Specifications:

Caliber: .308 Win (7.62x51mm NATO)
Weight: 9.0lbs (empty)
Length: 38" overall length (with 18" barrel)
Action Type: Bolt
Magazine Capacity: 4 round
Rail: Two piece Mil Spec M1913 rail
Stock: Specially designed FN/Hogue
Bedding: Aluminum pillar full-length bedding to block

Thanks for the accuracy info..............do they shoot better than 1moa? Are parts easy to get? How hard is a trigger job? I know not one thing about a FN bolt gun..... :D

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
600 and what now? are we talkin bout the same rifle? Let me double check on what rifle your askin bout...

BC

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep.............$649 NIB (+$13 shipping) This gun retails for $849 (check CMMG) It is a good deal, I just want to know is it worth it? Do they have a good resell value?

edit:
from CMMG site

24" FN PBR New 24" FN Patrol Bolt Rifle. .308 Caliber. Features include FN/Houge Rubberized over molded stock, 1:12 4140 RH twist tapered medium weight barrel , three position safety, 4 shot detachable magazine, and standard picatinny 2 piece scope rail(standard M70) $849.95

·
Registered
1,559 Posts

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
already have a LTR :D Just hard to pass up a good deal. So what is the accuracy of this rifle on average (I know what the factory says)?

I can not find one review on it :?

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What about the 1:12 4 grove barrel?

I may see about sending it out for a review, if I buy it. :wink:

What worries me is the "med heavy" barrel, how lite is it? How will it work as it heats up? Shows to be about 9lbs.................still no luck on finding review................. :?

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
commenting in "general" terms, the medium heavy barrel looks to be about the equivilent of a #6 or #7 contour. It appears to be short, 20" or so. I would think that it should do fine, but a lot of that depends on the quality of the barrel. It would really be hard to tell until you test it.

MEL

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I got one on order (paid for), have to call and get my FFL sent to them. We shall see what it does.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Caver, I would like to do a review on the rifle if you think there might be an agreable set of terms we could come to to let me borrow it for a few weeks.

MEL

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
MEL, I am open to that, just let me play with it for a little while :lol:

Once it comes in I will post some pics and if you are still interested we can work something out. How many rounds do you typ shoot doing a review?

EDIT: NO DROP TEST! :lol:

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Heh, fair enough, no drop tests.

I usually shoot between 40-60 rounds. I do not do grueling shoot to failure type tests. I like to measure ultimate accuracy at 100, and then move to some long range work. I do also handle them and do some light field work to see how they handle in the field. The tests are generally not abusive to the rifle. If we damage the rifle, we will replace it for you :D

MEL

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Can not beat that.

When the rifle is shipped back to me does it have to go to a FFL? Do you want to do your eval with the stock trigger?

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
You mean you wont do any of the good ol' fashion helicopter drop test's? :D

BC

1 - 20 of 70 Posts