Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of buying an FN PBR to use as a tactical/sniper weapon at work. I need to know what kind of accuracy I can expect from it. Is it on par with a Rem 700 PSS or a Win Stealth? I heard that the barrels are made from M240 barrels. Is this true? and is it good or bad? I've handeled other FN products in the past, and they all seemed top notch. Is the PBR any diffrent? My only concern is accuracy. From what I have seen the PBR appears to be marketed towards patrol officers who need a durable and reliable long arm, rather than towards the marksman/sniper. Is the PBR appropriate for percision work?

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
These rifles will work for your needs. They are generally about a .75-1 MOA rifle. The hogue stocks on them are okay, though I much prefer the shape and design of a good McMillan or HS stock. The hogue does offer very good gripping in all weather conditions though. (I have one on a twede scout rifle I built).

It depends a lot on what you are looking for. I think the accuracy performance will get you what you need, but I would try to get my hands on what to see if you like the way it feels and handles.

MEL

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
FN PBR (Patrol Bolt Rifle), I'm guessing if they were attempting to compete with the 700 action or any tactical long range rifle they would post an MOA accuracy estimate. Everything I've read so far has been talking about how it is designed for the patrol car.

This seems more like a specialty weapon for highway patrol staties or small town cops who may not have immediate access to reinforcements.

If it is designed to be toted along in a standard black and white I can't imagine it being made to engage farther away than 100 yards. It is just unlikely for your average patrolling officer to encounter a situation where he/she will need to take a long distance shot.

I suppose if you are comfy enough with your aim it could replace a 12 gauge, but I'll take 00 in a close quarters shoot out over a .308 any day.

-snowy

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Have you seen the ones they are making with the McMillan A5 right now? I think it was for the FBI. Fundamentally, I don't know if it differs from the PBR, aside from the stock really. All the reviews I have read of them are really good, like .5 MOA capable, but they'll probably cost a good deal more than an SC rifle, which is what I would be lookin at if I were you. Guarantees are nice.

Yep, the barrels are machined from C-6 (M240 machine gun barrels) and they shoot .5 MOA....Pretty cool, huh?

Ah, I read up on it and the FN SPR they sold to the FBI has a .5 MOA guarantee too...Who knows what it sells for though lol.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
You'd think they would want to mention that eh?

I never heard anything about that and I've read like 3 reviews for the rifle.
All of them just say how great it is that FN has the patrol officer in mind.

-snowy

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
yeah, lol, you'd think they would. I wonder how many changes were made from PBR to SPR?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts