Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of trying to put on a barrel on a bare used Remington LA 700 M24 action. I have barreled many M1 garands but this is different. Would a take off barrel index? The 2 1903 Springfields I did were a real pain. I am hoping to hear a take off should just screw on and I should be good to go. I do have a pull through reamer that I use on garand barrels.
Any insight from anyone that has replaced a 700 barrel would be appreciated.

·
Registered
18 Posts
watch you tube. Your bolt will have to match the caliber of the barrel unless it a 308 then the bolt will work with 6mm and 6.5 mm creed moors. You should have go no-go gauges for which ever caliber you are putting on

·
Registered
15 Posts
Correct, LA stands for long action. Last I knew the M24 was fielded for almost two decades in 7.62 x 51mm.

I would still go 6.5PRC over 300WM.

For tickles & giggles I'd grab a REM 30-06 bolt, PR 6.5 pipe and start loading for 6.5 WBY RPM.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a 6.5 PRC love it. Had to quit shooting it when ammo got up to over 100.00 a box. Bought a Savage 300PRC because ammo was 58.00 a box. The Savage doesn't shoot Hornady ammo worth a crap. 6.5PRC ammo is back down in the 50-60 range so I'll restock and fire it up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts