Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys
Does anybody have any idea whether making a barrel free floating ... is it a logistical requirement or an accuracy point...!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
399 Posts
I think repeatability is key to accuracy, which is probably much easier to achieve when the barrel is free floating. My uncle has one of the old remingtons that wouldn't hold zero and spent a lot of time at the smith trying to get it to shoot. In the end, they clamped the barrel down to the stock at the forend with a hose clamp to keep it from moving around, and the gun started shooting 1/2" groups at 100yds. Before this it would shoot 6" at 100yds with flyers worse. If the contact points are solid you should be able to tune the accuracy with handloads.

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
I think repeatability is key to accuracy, which is probably much easier to achieve when the barrel is free floating. My uncle has one of the old remingtons that wouldn't hold zero and spent a lot of time at the smith trying to get it to shoot. In the end, they clamped the barrel down to the stock at the forend with a hose clamp to keep it from moving around, and the gun started shooting 1/2" groups at 100yds. Before this it would shoot 6" at 100yds with flyers worse. If the contact points are solid you should be able to tune the accuracy with handloads.
I can see this working if the contact points are solid and remain the same. Problem is that most stocks will change slightly with temperature and thereby slightly change the pressure points. Also how it is held or whether it sits on a bag, bipod, hand, or fence post will also slightly change the pressure points.

Floating is usually the best way because it is difficult to consistently control the variables otherwise.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks people .. I understand... even I read that making a barrel free floating would increase its accuracy as pressure points can change..!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts