Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put a new AR15, Anderson upper and lower 223 Wild Barrel M4 18 inch mid-length gas tube
non-adjustable gas block, together and took it to the range. Has no problems cycling but when I
looked at the spent cases, they were dented after the neck about 1/8th inch down the case body.

Any ideas as to what could be wrong?

·
Premium Member
4,710 Posts
Sounds like they're being ejected hard and the cases are hitting the deflector. Which is what the deflector is for. Where is your brass ejecting? 4-6 o'clock? What buffer and weight do you have?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If the barrel is 12, it is coming straight back at 6 and has left a scrape line on the deflector. I have a carbine buffer (not sure what weight it is), tube and spring. I purchased the butt stock (6 position collapsible) with buffer and spring all together off of ebay.

·
Premium Member
4,710 Posts
Get a H3 buffer. Sounds like the gun is slightly over gassed.

Reactions: str8shot

·
Registered
238 Posts
Get a H3 buffer. Sounds like the gun is slightly over gassed.
This.

I'm guessing you are using a standard buffer spring/buffer. Needs to be heavier. One of the reasons I like gas piston systems now. With a can on I have do dial it back some for this reason.

·
Premium Member
4,710 Posts
I should expand on my answer too....the reason your gun is over gassed, is because the rifle length gas system (12") is designed to work with a A2 buffer. Which is heavier than a standard carbine buffer.

·
Premium Member
5,234 Posts
WYLDE.

Sorry, but that one bothers me a lot for the reason that Bill is still alive, and you should spell his name correctly.

-Nate

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nate, I'm glad you know how to spell his name. I'm sure you have never made a mistake before.

I haven't been in this field for very long, so give a newbie a break.

·
Premium Member
5,234 Posts
As a self-proclaimed ignorant new shooter, you may as well start doing things the right way, including taking free advice that makes you look less like an idiot. Knowing the history of who designed you chamber well enough to at least spell his name correctly is, in my opinion, pretty easy. Seeing as the man responsible lives less than 2 hours from you, and you have "put together a few ar15s and ar10s", I thought you'd want to be correct. If you don't agree with my opinion, well, I guess you are entitled to portray yourself however you want.

But here, cocky FNG: There's nothing wrong with your rifle. It's not a damn bolt gun, it WILL dent casings a little, and none of that will matter for it's accuracy level...Mine does, and it's a full rifle system with about any upgrade you can think of; it's still probably a 3/8" rifle with clean OR dented cases.

If the dents in your dirty casings on the ground bother you, put a piece of fuzzy velcro on the deflector and see no more dents.

Adjustable gas blocks are for suppressor use, and for tuning a screwed-up barrel whose port was reamed too large.

Stop looking at the casings and shoot the rifle...
-Nate

·
Registered
238 Posts
Just wanted to point out that a well tuned AR should throw brass at the 3-5 o'clock not 6. With out seeing how bad the cases look I can tell you that all my cases look fine after shooting. Just dirty from blow back carbon.

Nate, what is all the hubbub?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was always told the only stupid question is the one you don't ask. If I don't get a name correct, forgive me, you were a newbie one time too. I do want to thank you for the help you have given me.
As a self-proclaimed ignorant new shooter, you may as well start doing things the right way, including taking free advice that makes you look less like an idiot. Knowing the history of who designed you chamber well enough to at least spell his name correctly is, in my opinion, pretty easy. Seeing as the man responsible lives less than 2 hours from you, and you have "put together a few ar15s and ar10s", I thought you'd want to be correct. If you don't agree with my opinion, well, I guess you are entitled to portray yourself however you want.

But here, cocky FNG: There's nothing wrong with your rifle. It's not a damn bolt gun, it WILL dent casings a little, and none of that will matter for it's accuracy level...Mine does, and it's a full rifle system with about any upgrade you can think of; it's still probably a 3/8" rifle with clean OR dented cases.

If the dents in your dirty casings on the ground bother you, put a piece of fuzzy velcro on the deflector and see no more dents.

Adjustable gas blocks are for suppressor use, and for tuning a screwed-up barrel whose port was reamed too large.

Stop looking at the casings and shoot the rifle...
-Nate

·
Registered
117 Posts
Wow uncalled for, the guy had a simple question and you get out of hand? Why down someone for making a simple spelling mistake....I'm no expert in literary or writing but if you are going to down someone for spelling you should check your own.

P.S
Mr. Glass house

·
Premium Member
5,234 Posts
Not a problem, rasher, and yes I was a new guy once as well; I still ask [what I later find out are] stupid questions from time to time. The issue with the AR you have is that, like many others like it, as the bolt carrier group retracts and the casing flips out of the ejection port spinning clockwise (if viewed from above) around it's center of mass, it then encounters the deflector (or the rear edge of the ejection port in bad examples) that rapidly halts that rotation and kicks it back forward. This is what that deflector was intended to do, and it does it a lot more gently than the rear of the ejection port, but it still dents a lot of them about 0.200" back from the body-shoulder junction. The brass marks you see all over the anodizing on your deflector are normal, and will only get more pronounced with time, unless you do the velcro trick.

Be prepared for heckling if you go to the range with velcro on the deflector and RTV on the charging handle, but know that these little modifications are functional and that is what counts. For the record, I have both of the above of my rifle, a smiley face on the front sight base, and I don't care what anybody thinks about it, because if THAT is what they are thinking about, then I have already beaten them in the parking lot before the matches even start.

I strongly, strongly believe that more shooting of rifles instead of talking about how they might be malfunctioning (or fill in the blank with 1 of 1,000 other topics) solves most problems because MOST problems are not rifle problems, they are shooter problems. If the AR-15 has a real issue, it will generally let you know. For example: if it ever goes "click" instead of "bang" when the trigger drops, do NOT try to just clear it and run it unless your life depends on the skill. These little aluminum rifles have a bad habit of rapid decomposition in the case of improperly handled jams and misfires.

Machinist, it seems to me like rasher can handle himself pretty well without you sticking up for him like some half-cocked older brother. I too am entitled to an opinion, and I voice it freely, while sometimes managing to offer decent advice on somebody's issue; I attempted this above. For your edification, I have probably reread every single of my nearly 4,400 posts multiple times, and if you take note of the number of mine that show "edit" below them, you'll know that I am speaking in earnest. I have also read better than 75% of all posts ever made, including thousands you've never seen, on this forum. Start counting and you'll understand why I am sometimes a little faster to judgment than you may be able to comprehend; not an excuse for what might have been uncalled-for, just a reality of a job I might have done for too long now. But thanks for informing everyone how high an opinion you have of me; it's important that everyone know I am a jerk.

-Nate

·
Registered
679 Posts
RTV works great,
(freedom of speech)
we all should be able to do it freely with out rudeness,
power corrupts absolute power corrupts absolutely
I spoke the truth on here about Tac Ops and it was changed
freedom for some Not for ALL.

·
Premium Member
5,234 Posts
RTV does work really well, and it's even easy to do. I'm not sure why more people DON'T do that to their charging handles. I know it's old school, but Highpower alone probably sees 3-5 AR's spontaneously disassemble per year, maybe more, so I see that as still being pretty relevant.

Congrats on post # 556, trapper. Good number, that one.

-Nate

·
Premium Member
4,710 Posts
What's this RTV on the charging handle trick?

·
Premium Member
5,234 Posts
Thank you for asking, NorCal. I was trying to figure out how to go back and work that in.

It's like bedding the rear of the gas shoulder of the charging handle where it meets the upper, but done with RTV, not epoxy. This is done so that, in the case of a blown shell, gas and fragments coming back through the receiver are contained and/or captured by the silicone, instead of hitting the shoulder and deflecting straight upward (as designed), into the shooter's face.

Procedure is simple:
-Clean both the charging handle and the rear of the upper where they meet.
-Acetone the charging handle's entire semi-circular gas shoulder right between where your booger-hooks grab ahold...so the RTV will grab the anodization
-Apply a little wax to the edges of the upper...so the RTV WON'T grab the anodization.
-Take your tube of RTV and apply a generous bead across the semi-circular gas shoulder.
-Carefully install the charging handle, and run it forward to meet the receiver, but DO NOT close it all the way; leave it "just" unclicked so that when the RTV sets up, you have a fit that requires a little shove against the rubber to click shut.

Done properly, this does not interfere with clearing malfunctions, or in any way impede the ability of the buffer spring to close the handle and BCG on it's own.

I'll try to get a picture tonight so you can see what I mean.

-Nate

1 - 20 of 24 Posts