I'd like to hear comments and thoughts about the potential following product:

SC Series
20x60mm Spotting Scope
Rubber Armored
Mid to upper quality glass/optics
Made in Japan (not china)
MIL DOT RETICULE
Price : about $350 - $400 USD

Also the potential for 40x and 60x eyepieces for around $70 each. The eyepieces rotate between 45 degrees, and straight.

Thoughts?

MEL

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
If I ever recover from my current projects..........that seems like a great deal.

·
Registered
777 Posts
It seems like a good deal to me...

Especially with the option for the other eyepieces. Hope they can keep the quality up.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Sounds like a good deal in all but i dont get why you would need a mil dot reticule. If you are using it for target shooting you already know the range through your rifle scope or its a set range that you already know the distance of. Only reason that i can think of having a mil dot reticule in a spotting scope is that if you are glassing an area for game and you spot one, and right off the bat recognize the distance with the dot system. Other than that im stumped to why you would have it in your scope other than just for looks.

Good idea though :)

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ah yes, let me explain my young friend:

The spotting scope is probably the 2nd most important piece of kit for a sniper team, behind the rifle, of course. We use spotting scopes all the time for reading wind, locating targets, estimating range, and most of all, spotting rounds AS they go down range. (Watching bullet trace). Now, because a team works together, and we use mil-dots A LOT for estimating ranges, it becomes obvious why you would want mil-dots in the spotting scope... FOR BETTER range estimation accuracy. Having a 20x spotting scope that the spotter can use to estimate range would be a big benefit. (of course, the shooter still makes his calcs and you compare notes)

Why not just use a laser range finder? Because they are not very reliable. I just did an eval on a Lieca 1200 (one of the best out there) and I was unable to get a range on a 20"x20" WHITE plate at 640 meters. Thats a highly reflective target, and I was unable to get a range on it. Mil-dots then were our back up, we estimated range, dialed in dope.... and missed (oops). My partner (who was behind the rifle) wasn't accurate enough on his reading of the mil-dot. If I would have had dots in my spotting scope, we would have compared numbers, and I would have been able to get a more accurate reading from the spotting scope. So, there is the big reason for the mil-dots in a spotting scope.

BTW - We did hit the target with the 2nd round after a correction.

MEL

·
Registered
222 Posts
I am in the market for a spotting scope and will purchase one is the next 8 months. But my view on optics now is save up the money and buy the best one you can find. So if the scope is not on par with a leupold MK 4 I probably wont be buying it.

Maybe you can have two different lines a mid quality and high quality one.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I would look seriously at such a piece of gear. If you could get one with MOA instead of mil dot reticle I would be better off, but I guess I can re-learn the Mil dot range estimate methodology.

JeffVN

·
Registered
20 Posts
I see that the scope would be very beneficial for a Sniping team and for military and law enforcement teams, but i was looking at it from my perspective as just a person who shoots for fun and already knows the range I am firing at. I also have one of those Lieca 1200's and have never had a problem with it. It has ranged all the game that ive tried to range. Last 2 animals ive taken were 410+ yards. But i usually fin a point and glass and prior to me glassing i range find all the ke points so i already know the range b4 they get there. But anyways just from my perspective :)

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Obviously, if you are sitting at a range all day and shooting paper at known distances, then this is not as much of use to you where as if you were say......exterminating a varmit problem ie-prarie dogs :wink: I would be very interested in one if my bank account ever recovers......

·
Registered
994 Posts
Drew said:
So if the scope is not on par with a leupold MK 4 I probably wont be buying it.
Same boat as Drew.

Scatch Maroo

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
Mel

I have a spotting scope already so don't need another one. I am willing to put in input for ideas. Mil dots would be handy for backup. I would prefer 45 deg eye piece that doesnt move, since one that flexes from straight to 45 deg there is more to go wrong. I don't need to tell you about KISS and Murphy. Above all is good quality optics. I have looked through good and ok scopes, and good is worth the money when spotting scopes are involved.

Another idea is a built in range finder that you use the dial for like with duplex retcile, or something similar to the night force range rings. Mil dots are ueful, but you need to do math with them, so maby something more simple for dumb people like me. Just some ideas.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I don't beleive the eyepiece "flexes". It would be turned and that would cause it to go from straight to 45.

John

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good, I'm starting to get some useful input!

This scope certainly is not for the casual range shooter. Varmint hunters and especially tactical teams would make fine use of it. Now, up at the top I said optical quality is from upper-mid to high. Perhaps I need to quantify that. I consider High to be leica, leupold mk4, zeiss, and other VERY high end scopes. The optics on this spotter should be in the realm of nikon monarch, burris signature or other upper end spotting scopes. I will not know for sure until I get the prototypes here for review. If they are not of high enough quality, I will not spend the huge amount of money to produce and import hundreds of these. To get the quality I need, the price may go up, but it appears that everyone is willing to pay more for the extra quality anyway.

MEL

·
Registered
175 Posts
I'm in the market for one in the next 6-8 months and this sounds like a good idea.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Mel,

Goodness, you keep coming up with ideas I LOVE to hear :D I think a spotting scope from SC would be a great idea, especuially a mildot scope. I myself have a bushnell range finder and it has helped out the 950 yards. After that, N O P E. I seriously believe that if you keep this up, eventually you are going to be making contracts to the US military and Federal GOVT.

WHAT SAY ALL OF YOU??

Respectfully,
Tyler Consugar

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Would prefer something with a variable power up to say.........30x-40x??

I almost bought the Nikon Earth/Sun.....something....... forget the name of it. I think it is a 15x-40x-60mm maybe (??).

Got an old Winchester spoting scope that is a fixed 20x - P.O.S.!!

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I agree with the variable. Unfortunately there are some technical problems getting the mil-dots to stay focused at all powers with a variable power eyepiece.

That being said, if we do this scope,we will offer the 20-60x eyepiece (sans mil-dots) for $75. Or have a package with the spotting scope, 20x mil-dot eye piece, and 20-60mm non mildot eye piece for $50 more than the standard 20x with mil-dots.

We will probably also offer a fixed 40x eye piece with mil-dots as a $75 accessory.

Leupold acheives the mil-dots on a variable power spotting scope by putting the reticule in the tube and not the eyepiece, effectively making it a FFP reticule. Unfortunately, this would require a complete redesign on the scope we plan to offer, driving the price MUCH MUCH higher.

MEL

1 - 18 of 18 Posts