Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else used a scope with a German #1 reticule? Believe it or not, this is a good reticule for sniping (no, not as useful as mil-dots). There are some hidden "tricks" that the british used to do with this reticule back in the No4Mk1(T) days. If interested, I can fill folks in.

For those of you unfamiliar:

(from leupold's webpage)

I have dreams of building a SC3 in 6.5x55 (short action) with 26" #7 or #8 with a leupold 3-9x with this reticule and custom marked BDC dials for lapua 123gr match ammo for the swede. I'll keep it zeroed at 600 meters..... and call it Ms. 600

thoughts?

MEL

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I might use the PMC 6.5 match load also (140gr match king at 2560fps) because its much easier to get than the lapua match ammo.

I've thought of doing a leupold 6x42mm with this reticule and the knobs, which is what I'd prefer to do, but it would be cheaper to use the VX2 3-9x because it comes standard with this reticule and I wouldn't have to pay leupold custom shop to switch the reticule.

Besides Leupold and Zeiss, does anyone know of other scope makers that have this reticule as an option? (I checked with Burris' custom shop, and they do not)

MEL

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I may be mistaken but i believe IOR makes such a scope.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I just tore through their site and didn't see the reticle. They did have a German #4 and 7A... but no #1

thanks though... any others?

MEL

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
dang mel, your right... i seriously cant find anyone who has the number 1... all im finding are number 4's.

Have you thought about getting the reticle swapped out? I know there are companies that do that.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Can't help ypu find anyone else who makes 'em, but I'm intrigued by these hidden secrets.

·
Registered
777 Posts
I shot some kind of odd reticle before in an old 3-9x Redfield, kind of like this:
http://mysite.elixirlabs.com/index.php? ... &page=1905

except the Post was slightly thicker, taller, and more pointed at the top, and the horizontal crosshair was much thinner.

I didn't like it, duplex works better for me personally. Why the interest in the #1 Mel? Could you fill us in on the details and tricks?

The setup you described would certainly be unique. I hope the SC series is coming along well.

·
Registered
187 Posts
The German #1 reticle is a really good one. But have you seen Leupolds Post & Duplex reticle? I have been thinking about getting a scope with that reticle on it.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Okay, so you want to know some tricks with this reticule?

First, the merits of the reticule. First and formost, this reticule is not intended for printing small groups on paper. While it is possible, it is more difficult. This is a field reticule. It excels at low light use. It is visible long after duplex's and crosshairs disappear, but the scope is still gathering light. Now, I will admit, illuminated reticules obviously are superior. (as long as batteries are good, and nothing breaks). The other thing is thick brush and dark targets, this reticule is great. Its an extremely practicle reticule for the field.

Now, the big trick was that the Germans (and others) were using this reticule on 6x scopes, and they had the wide opening part spefically spaced so that one half (from post to the thick side stadia) would cover the width of a man's shoulders at 100 meters. Therefore, if you could fit 4 shoulder widths in there, than the target was 400 meters away. And the full length of a motorcycle would fit in the same space at 400 meters. (it would span the entire open space on the reticule at 200m). So, just like the mil-dots, the old snipers would use this reticule to measure the size of known size targets (windows, doors, etc) to estimate range. The open spaces were also use to do moving target leads. Its all rather facinating.

Now, I'm trying to dig up some additional documentation I have on the british employment of this reticule, but I cannot find my manual, I hope to have it soon.

The leupold reticule has slightly dimensions, and I'm researching into how to best use the leupold reticule... I'll keep everyone posted

MEL

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
WOW, I didn't realize a post rectice was available. I am a fan of this reticle. This is one of those cases where target shooting and field shooting are diffrent. I think this is one of the best kept secrets out there in the shooting world.

I think the soviet PO-2(?) had this reticle didn't it?The one they used in WWII. It seems like there is some soviet era scope that had this. If I remember right the PO-4 (?) that comes on the SVD has chevrons, or was that the ANPVS-3 or 4. Crap, I cant remember. Any one out there remember? Nothing like showing my ingorance on the internet.

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
Dooh, look on this site. Pv (4x) and PU(3.5x) on the mosin nagant, and PSO-1 on the SVD. God my memory is crap. Any one remember the reticles for these?

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes, I believe the scope that was used on the 1891/30 sniper did have this German #1 reticule.

MEL

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Mel's right. The Russian scope had such a reticle.

If memory serves me, the scope is called a "PU" scope. I test fired one back in the early nineties and on that particular day I also tested a Remington 700 varmint in .308. The 700 wore a Weaver 10x scope. (I think it was the T-10 scope).

Anyhow, the old Russky scope was as bright as the Weaver and the old Nagant was almost as accurate as the Remington. And in the Nagant I used some Hungarian ball ammo !!.

In that book about Carlos Hatchcock, there were a few disparaging comments made about the Moisin Nagant. Believe me, it is a sniper rifle to be feared.

It may look odd, and it may be a little clumsy, but it shoots great.

Mad

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hi men, offcourse that russian optics like PU, PE, PEM etc. got German #1 recticule, because of before WW2 russians made a German ZEISS optics in licence. That optic was later renamed to PE.

·
Registered
5,043 Posts
Schmidt and Bender has a 6x42 scope that has the #1 german reticle.There's a few older european scopes , circa mid 20th century on e-bay that have that type also.Doesn't look like an inexpensive way out of this one. Most of the companies I've viewed on german reticles are #4 type.

Jeff

1 - 20 of 34 Posts