Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found this pic in another forum and just had to show you guys. Gotta be hardcore to shoot this sucker, back in the day before the muzzle break....That is the biggest mauser I have ever seen. 13 mm.

Mad, can you reload for this?

·
Registered
156 Posts
I have seen this rifle in person. Im not sore if it is the exact one or not. The rifle now hangs in the Queensland Musem. The rifle was donated to the musem buy the son of the digger who suvienered it. It was during the time that the Australian Govt was registering all of the firearms and thier owners. The owner didnt have a firearms licence and had to get rid of it. On TV He offered it to any one who could shoot it. But it obviously ended up in the musem.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I've seen one of those in a musuem also. But that was years ago.

As I remember, the rifle fired a 13mm cartridge. And the blurb in the museum stated that only soldiers of the heaviest physique were selected to fire the thing.

I am fairly sure that one could handload for this beast. I bet it would work with the slowest of powders and be similar to a .50BMG. As I remember, the .50 BMG was inspired by the German 13mm.

I just did a check on the gun and it was slightly over 5 feet long. It weighed around 35 pounds.

Mad

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The page I saw said it was indeed the inspiration for 50 BMG. I wonder if anyone ever scoped that Mauser...hmmm...I would like that.

I'm pretty burly so maybe I wouldn't wuss out lol.

Saw a picture of it compared to the 50 BMG and it was almost as big.

Thanks for the info, Mad. I was wondering about that thing but I couldn't find it in my books

·
Registered
524 Posts
mele said:
** FOR SALE **
German Anti-Tank Rifle
Only Fired Once

:wink:

MEL

No doubt, Wonder if it was used on a three man sniper team:
Sniper
Spotter
Medic (skilled a replacing dis-located shoulders)

·
Registered
383 Posts
Since when does FLEA post? :D

Looks like it would be fun to shoot... once. I wouldn't mind staring at the hospital nurses either while I recoup.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Firing at a British tank of the time, the 13mm was less effective than their MMGs and HMGs with "K-Ammo" which was capable of piercing all 15 millimetres of frontal armour on the British vehicle, much more effectively than the 13mm "Panzerknacker" there.

Thing with the giant PzB rifles like that is that the concept was retained well until the adoption of the HEAT Manportable weapons, such as the American M-1 "Bazooka" and the shaped-charge of the British PIAT.

The later-war PzBs were effective against American Sherman tanks for quite some time, primarily when used against treads and "fixings" on the tank, optical blocks and suchlike. However, the German design team decided to weaken the penetrating round so that the ammunition could incoporate a tear-gas capsule that would somehow get inside the vehicle (Rather than being splattered across the outside) and force the crew to evacuate.

That 13mm was also commonly used to fire on Canadian MG positions, since it could knock aside a sandbag or two or severly damage the complex Vickers .303 MMG.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Ah yes... i have seen a few of these before. Never fired one... but it doesnt kick any more than a EDM M-96 Windrunner in .50 BMG... or so says a friend who has fired both. The caliber of this German WW1 Anti Tank Mauser is 13X92... nearly identical ballistics to that of the 12.7X99mmSR (.50BMG) as far as i can tell from into on the net. The british had an Enfield scaled up to take a 13.9mm x 99B if i remember correctly. Here are a few pics of some 20mm anti tank rifles. The 20mm API ammo is just as hard to get as the rifle lol. (for civies anyway :p )

And of coarse the Liahti 20mm Anti Tank rifle.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts