Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The government has made having your own more difficult in recent times, and I've seen the online "quick start" type kits and read what there is to read, but I still want to know, what's REALLY involved?

I don't have a business, but I would like to hear some quick thoughts from those who actually have, or used to have, an FFL.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
I am in the process of getting mine right now. It is not as bad as it might seem, but dont buy a kit, ATF has been very helpful with moving through the process. I would contact the ATF office near you and just ask for help. I can give you a brief rundown on the process, basically you need to request a packet from ATF, and fill it out. You must get the Local Police Chief or S.O. to agree to you getting it, ATF will not OK without this. You must comply with all the local Zoning issues, and business laws, etc. You need to submit a photo and fingerprints on all the forms provided by ATF, and then they come out and inspect your site. Thats about it, but Mel correct me if I missed anything. Oh you have to send them $200 for the license.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
You should also be aware that the site you use on the license is subject to search by the ATF, in your case that may or may not be you home. So as long as you are ok with that there shouldn't be a problem.

John

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I have often wanted to know about this as well.

Do you have to sell firearms or be a gunsmith to get it? Any stipulations for the fellas like me?

What do you do to need your FFL mlammers?

Could it be as easy as having a mail order type business out of my house?

·
Registered
994 Posts
mlammers said:
You must get the Local Police Chief or S.O. to agree to you getting it, ATF will not OK without this.
And that explains why SF has only one firearm dealer...

Scatch Maroo

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
There is no law that says you have to be a gunsmith or an actual gun shop, BUT, the ATF actively tries to make it that way. There is a good chance that if you get your FFL and in 3 years when you go to review it they check your books and you have 20 firearms transfers and 17 of them are transfers to your personal collection, they will not renew your license. You have to state the intended business. They are trying to make it for business use only. That being said, you certainly could run a mail order business out of your home, that is legal, but you should probably check exactly how much money you would (or correctly, wouldn't) make. There is not much markup in firearms. The accessories on the other hand....

MEL

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Sorry I did not respond yesterday, my shift got a little hectic about 20 runs, and then the MIL went off the deep end and caused a little family strife.

So here goes, I will state exactly what Mel said is true, but now ATF actually says on Form 7, the application, if you are not in business for a profit, they will not approve your FFL.

As far as Why I need one, I am getting a smithing business going, once the FFL gets here I will post all the details. I will do finishing, as well as offering a line of custom Mauser based rifles utilizing both new and surplus actions, and in several configurations. I promise I will post all the full info once my FFL arrives, until then I am working out getting all the little details finalized, and getting my paperwork in order with TTB, IRS,and Ohio.

I hope to be able to help you guys out some, my business will not be in competition with SC and Mel, he has been an inspiration to me. I will be offering a very different product, and also will be available for repair and refinish work. The Company name has been finalized as Losok Custom Arms LLC. Now all I can do is await the FFL to start working for ya.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Yeah, he already has his first rifle order. :D

·
Registered
253 Posts
mlammers said:
As far as Why I need one, I am getting a smithing business going, once the FFL gets here I will post all the details. I will do finishing, as well as offering a line of custom Mauser based rifles utilizing both new and surplus actions, and in several configurations. I promise I will post all the full info once my FFL arrives, until then I am working out getting all the little details finalized, and getting my paperwork in order with TTB, IRS,and Ohio.
My apologies for reviving an old post, but where do you stand at the moment on this endevour, mlammers?

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Marks at work, so i'll give ya the info. Mark has his FFL now and is currently running his own custom shop. The website should be complete soon, (as soon as the developers stop being lazy).

·
Registered
214 Posts
I read somewhere online that if you're not going to trade firearms you can apply for a Curios & Relics FFL, which costs $10/year and allows you dealer discounts at certain stores like Midway.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Yep I am up and running, the company name is Losok Custom Arms LLC. For all who are wondering, the name(losok)stands for Lammers One Shot One Kill. The rifles are all built to that standard, so I felt the name was appropriate.

·
Premium Member
1,222 Posts
spade said:
(as soon as the developers stop being lazy).
Whew, good luck with that. I wish I was not in a non competition situation here at work....id offer my services :D

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Thanks for all the support guys, everyone it means a lot. This is a business I would have never started, but for becoming a sniper, and building my first rifle. I was already an armorer, but had never really considered doing it for a business. My smith kind of guided me that way, and now is also sending me all the new builds that come into his shop, as he wants to slow down even more due to heart trouble and age.

I am expanding my shop space, and hope to soon have some better pics to show you. I will have everything but my lathe in within a week or so depending on my PD schedule(45 hrs OT scheduled in the next 2 weeks). I may keep using the lathe at my smiths/mentors shop for a while (its two minutes away), as the one I want is about 5K, and I have to pay off all the other expenses first. I may also buy the smith's lathe as he is considering selling it in the future, and if he does, he agreed to give me first shot at it.

I promise to give you guys some good project pics and rifles to look at in the future.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts