Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anybody who owns or operates a Glock 21 provide me with the following answers:

1.) How is the recoil compared to a standard 1911?
2.) How is the size relative to a Glock 17 and a 1911?
3.) Would you recommend owning one?

My past experiences in firing an older version of the Glock 17 (9mm) showed a great deal of recoil for a 9mm pistol. I was wondering how much worse or better the new models are in the 45 ACP. Since we have no ranges near by to rent one of these, I thought I would get some advise here...

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Buying a pistol is like buying a baseball glove.

You are buying something that you will put into your own hand. And my glove or my pistol may not be what you need or what you want.

Before you shell out hard earned money for any pistol, you should at least try holding the thing in your hand. And if there are no nearby rental ranges, you ought to travel.

If you hang out at your local range, you may find someone will will let you test fire one. But I would never buy a pistol without getting a chance to shoot it.

Maybe if you talk to your friendly local gun dealer, he might bring several pistols to the range and let you try them out. That's what I would do if I was a gun dealer.

Mad.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I agree with basically everything that Recoil and Mad stated.

However, as far as size goes, the G21 has a much different feel than a G17. It has a noticably larger grip, I highly recommend holding one yourself before making any decisions.

I also prefer the 1911, but as Recoil stated, that is just my opinion as I like heavy handguns as well. I have one glock and three 1911 style handguns(And three more home build 1911's in the works). I don't plan on buying another Glock, but I do plan on buying about 8,356 more 1911's. I really like the Glock, but I just prefer 1911's.

John

·
Registered
994 Posts
JRP3 said:
However, as far as size goes, the G21 has a much different feel than a G17. It has a noticably larger grip, I highly recommend holding one yourself before making any decisions.
+1 times five.

If you have small hands, or know a female who wants to try a 45, the 45 GAP (G34, I think) feels much more like the G17 in terms of grip. Granted, the recoil will be greater, but practice will overcome it if you're really interested.

Scatch Maroo

·
Registered
175 Posts
I love my 1911s, but the Glock has a lot going for it. Yes it has a larger grip, and the trigger is not as crisp, but the GLock is utterly, totally reliable and ridiculously simple to maintain. Accuracy is very good and then there is the magazine capacity. I stated in another thread, if I had to go back into combat again, much as I love my 1911s, I would probably opt for the Glock 21 this time around. Handle them both and go with the one that fits you best. Either one will serve you well as long as you do your part.

K2

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
I have shot a glock 21 a couple of times, but have carries a glock 22 for the last several years at work . I have also owned 2 1911's

1 more recoil

2. bigger and lot bigger. Bad for small hands

3 that is something only you can answer. Many glock owners don't like the g-21 big grip, but it may fit your hand. It is a reliable, combat accurate weapon. No one can say if you like it or not. Also look at the P220, I have one of those and it has never failed me, vary accurate and is .45. Also the new Rugers are supposed to be much improved, but havent fired one, just some feedback. Sig was selling refurbished P220's a while back, I guess they still are.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
John,

My dad has a Glock 21C. Overall feel of the pistol for me is kinda unweildy. Dont get me wrong, it shoots nicely, but the grips feel kinda thick. The compensation keeps felt recoil down a little bit but makes the pistol a litle noisier. Overall feel compare to a 1911 is quite a difference. The all steel frame and slide of a 1911 tames recoil better then the polymer frame and slide does on the glock. Originally the sights SUCKED so he replaced them with Tru Dot adjustable night sights. Not a bad set up. Would I buy one, maybe, but if i were to go with a duty .45 I would get a commander sized 1911. This is only my opinion. But then again, opinions are like buttholes, everyone has em..and sometimes they stink :p :D

Respectfully,
Tyler Consugar

·
Registered
70 Posts
I've shot both, but am steadfastly a Glock devotee. I own a G21 and a G30. As others stated correctly, a a handgun is uniquely a personal fit to the user. Many years ago, upon buying my first pistol, I decided on the caliber I wanted. Then, I did, as you are, and asked around. Then I shot different handguns. I settled on Glocks because of it's simplicity, reliability, and hi-cap capability.

I improved the G21 grip for my hands by having Robbie Barkmann, ROBAR, reduce the grip size.

The G30 is a smaller version G21. I love it. I did a practical shooting class yesterday with it, 200 rounds. Today I have a class, 8 hours, 300 rounds. I really enjoy Glocks. But you need to shoot others and decide,

Good luck.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Took your advice...

BTW, the few ranges in the people republic of New York I visit do not have a loaner or allow test fires of the Glock 21 so I decided to handle a new one instead just to get a feel for it...which was all I needed. The pistol did not feel right in my hand so I can only assume that a recoil wouldn't improve anything. I do not have small hands and can handle a 1911 with ease so I guess I will pass on the Glock. The Sig I handled felt pretty good but I think I will stick with my Kimber :)

·
Registered
340 Posts
TwoRings, have you checked out an HK USP in .45 auto yet? Glocks do not fit me at all, but the USP is perfect. Plus you can get a full size or a compact (though the compact USP is still huge.) A bit spendier than a Glock, but worth it. Plus, you get 13 rounds on-tap of .45! What more could you want?

What model Kimber do you have? I have been looking at a dead-stock entry level Custom II, but not sure whether to take the plunge or just go with another SIG (a P220ST has been calling my name for some time now...)

Jake

·
Registered
565 Posts
Some people are born with Glock-hands, others aren't. C'est la vie...

I've only shot the USP Compact 9mm..and to be honest, it's the worst 9mm I've shot. The short barrel and high bore line combined with military 9x19 made it behave like an a**monkey on speed... but I reckon the .45 would be more pleasant. I still think the boreline is waaaaay too high on the Compact considering its short barrel.

Personally, I just need a reason to get a Wilson CQB..and a bit more dough :roll:

·
Registered
994 Posts
Kamatz said:
Some people are born with Glock-hands, others aren't.
Yes, they're called men and women, respectively.

Scatch Maroo

·
Registered
340 Posts
Scatch Maroo said:
Yes, they're called men and women, respectively.

Scatch Maroo
Yeah, but just remember HK's motto: "In a World of Compromise, Some Men Don't. Those Who Do, Get a Glock."

8)

Jake

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Jake S said:
TwoRings, have you checked out an HK USP in .45 auto yet? Glocks do not fit me at all, but the USP is perfect. Plus you can get a full size or a compact (though the compact USP is still huge.) A bit spendier than a Glock, but worth it. Plus, you get 13 rounds on-tap of .45! What more could you want?

What model Kimber do you have? I have been looking at a dead-stock entry level Custom II, but not sure whether to take the plunge or just go with another SIG (a P220ST has been calling my name for some time now...)

Jake
I have a Kimber Custom CDP II and love it. For some reason, the 1911 models are a perfect fit for me and the felt recoil has never been a problem. I really love the Kimber. I know others have recommended the USP's before but they seem pretty bulkly compared to the 1911 models. I have still yet to fire one but have seen them used recently at the Ranger challange. Which USP models do you prefer and for what reason? Thanks!

·
Registered
340 Posts
The USP is a big handgun no doubt, even compared to a full-size 1911. It seems to be like a Glock, in that it either fits you perfectly, or you'll hate it. I like them for a number of reasons. They tend to be very accurate right out of the box and don't generally need a break-in period, as many autos do. They fix the biggest problem of the .45, which is 8-round capacity: 12+1 in a grip size that is, for me, much more comfortable than any of the other .45 hi-caps (like the Para P14-45 or the Kimber BP Ten II, which hyave very square-ish grips.) They are very strong and durable, and have a very effective recoil dampening system, which makes them very easy to fire accurately, comfortably, and quickly. The downsides are that the checkering fore and aft on the grip is overly aggressive, but then again it was made for people who wear gloves. And though it shoots like a high-end 1911, it is very expensive for a polymer handgun. The only USP I have any experience with is the full-size .45, and it was one hell of a gun. Now I need to decide between getting one or going for the Kimber. Choices, choices, choices...

Jake

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Everything to be said pretty much has been said.

WARNING... OPINION BELOW:

I say 1911 hands down.

-snowy

·
Registered
565 Posts
You forgot to write "personal" in front of opinion :p

I don't mean to be an arse, not now anyway, but what do you base that on? What makes you think a 1911 is the only option for everyone else? Are you sure a 1911 would fit my hands? What technical aspects make the 1911 better than everything else? Do you really think the 1911 is the best gun for every situation? Etc...

It's a bold statement without much evidence, so to speak. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have a 1911 (I'm looking at a Wilson CQB, in fact). But it's NOT the gun I'd carry in a situation where my life might depend on it. 8 rounds? No way, Jose. The double stack magazine is way to big for my hands, so that's out. And in general...what does a 1911 do that, say, a Sphinx 3000 Tactical can't? The answer is nothing. Absolutely nothing.

Personally, I don't really fancy the USP, either. Much because of the high boreline. But that, too, is a personal preference. But that's just what selecting the perfect handgun is mostly about - personal preference. What gun fits your hands, what gun fits your "style"..and so on.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts