Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

glock barrels fingerprinted?

8K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  Ballistic_Coefficiency 
#1 ·
I heard several years ago that Glock was going to scan an image of a bullet that was fired through the barrel of each of their guns. They were going to do this so that any bullet fired from a Glock could be traced to a particular gun. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Thanks,

crosshairs

#4 ·
the only real way to fingerprint a barrel is after its been fired a bit, its basicly identifying the rifleing wear inside the barrel that ends up on the round. I saw a show on how they did some of it and i thought it was interesting because they had a big steel tank of water with a acess hole on it that they fired the gun into to slow the round without doing much damage to it.

#7 ·
eplrs,

As FLEA mentioned, many manufacturers do give you the spent shell or shells. Glock is another company that does this. My 17 came with two shells that were even sign stamped by the technician from the factory that tested it. HK does something similar.

#8 ·
Although now some manufacturers are sending them with the spent shells to be used for ballistic fingerprinting, not just as proof that the gun works. Ruger does this, and I know that Kimber includes a paper notice that they did not include a shell for ballistic fingerprinting purposes. Gotta love the government and their communist schemes...

Jake

#9 ·
reply to fingerprints on glock barrels

:idea: personally i feel that even if they did ifngerprinting on the barrels i dont think ne body would hesitate to buy an interchangable barrel but great topic tho

#10 ·
Re: reply to fingerprints on glock barrels

Stealthy Sniper said:
:idea: personally i feel that even if they did ifngerprinting on the barrels i dont think ne body would hesitate to buy an interchangable barrel but great topic tho
Exactly, interchangeable, aftermarket older barrels would be everywhere. Just another lame bureaucrats vision of "crime" fighting. Like any of those punk gangbangers are running around with registered G-30's! :lol:

#11 ·
Ballistic Fingerprinting doesnt work in the long run... after the first 100 rounds are put through a barrel... through standard break in procedure(no matter what caliber) the barrel's lands and grooves will change enough to make it look different than it was before. Not to mention all you have to do is get an alluminum or steel cleaning rod and scrape the crap out of the corner of the lands and grooves to change the fingerprint... oh yea... and how many firearms are out there in the US? Several hundred million? The idea that a ballistician who works 16 hour days can reliably find similarities in bullets fired from random pistols in uncontroled enviornments is rediculous if you ask me. For instance... if you shoot a round into a water tank when the barrel is leaded... (the police do not clean the weapon before firing it) the rifling marks on the bullet are obviously going to be somewhat different than if you would have fired it when the barrel is clean. Not to mention barrels are interchangable... and you can order new barrels straight to your door. They can go ahead and do all the "fingerprinting" they want because it wont matter when i go out and break in my new pistol... the fingerprint will be changed in one day.

#13 ·
<--- grabs his glock 19 and glock 36 and starts rubbing the crap out of the rifling with an old rusty cleaning rod *see if you fingerprint this bastards!!!* :twisted:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.