Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for the catch-all subject there, I've got a real boat-load of stuff on the plate this time.

First a comment:
I'm interested to hear more about the SC2 project, aside from what has already been said.

Next the questions:
I know the SC1 has a Montana Rifleman barrel, did the prototype also have this barrel?
Is the SC1 only offered with a single front swivel stud?
Will Brownell's eventually offer the M700 BDL short action in stainless or titanium?
Is the Weatherby Mark V action for standard cartridges available in a short action? (The two sizes, magnum and standard, make me think the .308 would be slapped in the 30-06 length "standard"
H-S Precision will put a mercury recoil reducer in some of their stocks, will McMillan, and do Mercury tubes work enough to notice a difference?

Lastly, I would like to hear everyone's opinion on the following:
Howa heavy barrel .308 stainless barreled actions for "build it yourself" use
Montana Rifleman barreled actions for same
Montana rifleman use of castings and 415 instead of 416 stainless in the actions
Any comments on Texas Brigade Armory

phew, well I'm sure I'm come up with more questions, but thats it for now. Thanks in advance.

Practice, Practice, Practice, and shoot true.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Oh boy. Thats a lot of questions. As most are addressed at me, I'll answer what I can.

I'm interested to hear more about the SC2 project, aside from what has already been said.
The SC2 prototype is currently being built. The idea is a lightweight (< 10lbs) & compact (~40") rifle that is capable of 1000 yard engages with .308 recoil. Cost is also a factor. The flagship caliber will be a custom loading in either .260 or 6.5x284 (I haven't decided, but am leaning toward .260). The goal of the loading is 1000 yard ballistics that match or exceed the federal .300 Win Mag Match load (190gr at 2900fps). The ammo will be loaded by Hunting Shack Montana. The rifle will be a remington 700 short action, (normal bolt handle), HS Precision stock and a 20-22" #7 (possibly #8) taper barrel. The target price is $1100 for rifle, $2300 for package including custom market turrets on the leupold scope to match the ballistics of the load. The rifle will be available in a few other loadings (.308 for sure).

I know the SC1 has a Montana Rifleman barrel, did the prototype also have this barrel?
Yes
Is the SC1 only offered with a single front swivel stud?
No, the standard is the typical 3 studs, 2 up front, one in back
Will Brownell's eventually offer the M700 BDL short action in stainless or titanium?
There is no indication that this will happen. Heck, they don't even offer a long action yet.
Is the Weatherby Mark V action for standard cartridges available in a short action? (The two sizes, magnum and standard, make me think the .308 would be slapped in the 30-06 length "standard"
The TRR I shot was a .308 rifle, and the action was more of a .30-06 length action, as seen on the review page http://www.snipercentral.com/trr.htm but it actually operated normally.
H-S Precision will put a mercury recoil reducer in some of their stocks, will McMillan, and do Mercury tubes work enough to notice a difference?
I have not tried one, but I cannot see how the physics would help a whole bunch, but there might be "some" noticible difference. I would not plan on McMillan offering it anytime soon.
Howa heavy barrel .308 stainless barreled actions for "build it yourself" use Montana Rifleman barreled actions for same
The Howa barreled actions are nice, and in fact, are used for weatherby vanguard rifles. I have not tried one of Montana Rifleman's actions yet.
Montana rifleman use of castings and 415 instead of 416 stainless in the actions
I too have concerns about this, but MT Rifleman has tested their actions to WAY above required strengths and they are supposedly extremely strong actions. The casting of the action is what I'm concerned about....
Any comments on Texas Brigade Armory
Mike Lau makes an excellent rifle, very accurate... though a long backlog

There you go.

MEL

1 - 4 of 4 Posts