Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I just got a new DPMS A2-LR 308. Bought some Winchester 180 grain at Academy. Didn's see any that said Match ammo. Where do ya'll get your ammo( other than reloads)? And is there a better grain than any other? Your opinion is welcomed. Thanks, Doyle.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
You should probably avoid cheap surplus ammo. I would only use fresh, modern ammo.

You should probably try 150 grain ammo. You would be best trying ammo that was closest in weight to the military 147 grain load.

Mad

·
Registered
140 Posts
As long as its modern surplus i dont see the problem. I bought a few cases of Lake City 2002 manufactured 7.62X51mm 147gr FMJBT ammo and i put it through a friends LTR and got around 1.5 - 2 inch groups at 100 yards all day. Good plinking ammo! :D I would however try to avoid the older surplus ammo.

As far as match grade ammo goes, any good gun store should have at least a few box's and hopefully a small selection of different types and brands in stock at any given time.

Federal Gold Metal Match - comes in a white and blue box

Black Hills Match - Red box

Buffalo Bore Sniper - Clear plastic ammo case with blue sticker - VERY good ammo, loaded to M-118LR specs.

Military surplus M-118 - Cardboard box marked M-118 173gr Match

Military surplus M-118LR - Cardboard box marked M-118 Long Range

PMC Match - black box if i remember correctly - its ok match load but not the best.

Pretty much any moder civilian or modern surplus 147 - 150gr FMJBT ammo is good for plinking.

The best long range .308 match ammo is the 175gr stuff, the better short range match .308 ammo is the 168gr stuff.

The Rifleman

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Don't forget to try some boattailed polymer tipped hunting ammo, it's often sub moa.

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
Most ammo that is mfgd today is good quality, the thing is each rifle has it's own tast of combos it likes. Try diffrent brands and bullet weights. As long as you get major brand ammo it should be fine. If you get third world, cheap stuff the quality may not be there. just keep trying until you find something your rifle likes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We have gun shows here every month and there is a vendor that has Wolf ammo in almost every caliber. I have read in other postings that Wolf brand isn't that great. I use it with my AK and havent had a problem with it yet, but I am not trying to be super accurate with it at a 100 yards, just trying to hit the center of the target with open sights. This vendor has a case of 308.... 500 rounds for $85. But with my 308, I want to be very accurate, consistantly. Some of those brands I have never heard of. Anyway, thanks again for the info!! Doyle.[/quote]

·
Registered
140 Posts
Wolf ammo is fine for putting through a machinegun or an AK47 or SKS or similiar weapon, but its just not quality ammo. The only weapons i use Wolf ammo in is my SKS and semiauto AK.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts