Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I did not like the South African 7.62Nato in my 700, but the DMR has changed my mind on the ammo. I was just done firelapping and cleaning the barrel. I decided to get her just on the paper at 50 and 100. I started using PMC Bronze 143 FMJ(I even reseated the bullets in the ones I was using) an it was only shooting 1.25 MOA which was down from about 2 on that ammo before the work. I tried Ultramax 168s and got about .75 which is good for a 14, but it is good ammo too. I decided to try the SA milsurp just for kicks. Wow is all I can say. At 50yds 3 rounds one hole, and at 100 a solid .75Moa on a milsurp round.

I had a problem though, I bought rings too tall for the 3200, so I was shooting low and was out of elevation. I will shoot tomorow with the new rings, and photo the target. I did some checking, and bought more of the ammo. I found out the ammo is loaded with a match bullet according to the can it comes in. I am going to get the can and photo that too, the ammo is headstamped R1M1, and goes for under 150 for 980rds. I am going to stock up on this stuff, as the POI is very close to the Ultramax that I am using for duty right now. great practice ammo especially if you have a milsurp 308/7.62X51 with a Nato chamber.

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Awesome review, Mark. It sounds like that DMR is capable of well under MOA, 3/4 groups are great for milsurp. Well, it ain't m118LR anyway lol. Sounds like good ammo. I bet the only problem with it is when using in in 308 Win chambers. The M14 has a good, strong firing pin too, which I could forsee a bolt gun having a little bit of trouble with maybe.

The pictures will help, I bet that stuff is available in a lot of places and people would like to know what they are buying. I don't know what the headstamp is, but I see some here being sold in cans under the advert "SA surplus, Hertinberg arsenal" or some such. Maybe it's the same.

If you've pulled any, and they are boat tail, I wonder if the degree of the taper could actually make it more stable than Fed 168 Gr. GMM? For a handloader to pull 900 bullets and load them himself with his favorite cases and powder, I would expect some sweet shooting!

I'd really like to see what that rifle can do with Fed GMM, Black Hills or Hornady too lol. Maybe at the school you can have access to lots of loads?

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Oh really? Cool, I hadn't known that, but I like it.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep all Nato is supposed to be BT, as far as I know. It is all supposed to be 147 too, but the Aussie stuff is 144gr, as is the Argentine loaded under contract for the Aussies. The Brit Radway Green is 146, the Hirtenberger from Austria is 146 too I think. Portugese is 147 I think as is the Santa Barbara Spanish stuff. All the ones I have mentioned here seem to shoot very well with most saying the SA and ADI Aussie is well under MOA most times. Here is a link to AIM where it is available for about .15 per round

http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/copy_of__308.html

http://falfiles.com/forums/printthread. ... adid=22475

The second link is a thread from and FAL forum about Surplus ammo, they tested some 1978 Vintage SA same headstamp and found it to be pretty uniform in velocity, with a standard deviation of 33FPS, this is well within tthe tolerance of most commercial match ammo, as seen in the link below.

I know that some tests have indicated better deviation on Fed GMM ammo than this one, but this is not an uncommon number as far as I can tell. I also see that the deviation is lower than the LC match and several other Match ammunition varieties. It may not be true match ammo, but it is certainly a good practice alternate, and glass buster. I am leaning to looking at Ultramax 150 Noslers for my main ammo, I want to pic some up to see how it compares to this stuff.

http://www.cybersniper.com/ammo.htm

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here are some groups from the DMR, using this ammo. Carefully held and taking my time I got .60 MOA on the Bullseye, on the face target, I got .875 MOA firing all five in 30 seconds.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts