Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I'm looking for a decent, relatively inexpensive .308 Win rifle. Any advice on where I should start? This will be my first .308. The only rifle I've been using up until now has been the 7mm Remington Magnum.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
By relatively inexpensive, I mean somewhere around 1000$ or lower. Just the rifle itself. Although good optics and accessory suggestions would be appreciated.

Glad to be here. :D

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
chickenfatty said:
Hey, I'm looking for a decent, relatively inexpensive .308 Win rifle. Any advice on where I should start? This will be my first .308. The only rifle I've been using up until now has been the 7mm Remington Magnum.
What are you planning to do woth the rifle? If you plan on deer hunting that would be a compleatly diffrent rifle for say a dedicated police sniper and diffrent yet for a benchrest shooter.

As for a starter rifle save a bit and pay a little more now and save later. A .308 will be a pleasure to shoot after your 7mm mag.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Military applications, target shooting, that sort of thing. The 7mm is my first choice for hunting deer and the like, as it takes only one shot most of the time. Two if they're really tough.

I've grown up shooting the 7mm, I can handle the recoil very well, even when firing from a standing position. I have a dent in my forehead from when I held the scope too close and it gouged a pretty little scar into my head. It's funny because my brother and a family friend have the same scars from the same rifle awell. A brotherhood of sorts. :p

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
If you buy an off the shelf HB Win or Rem, for 7-800 then put some work into it etc, you will get a good shooter. On the other hand I recommend buying an SC rifle from Mel. He guarintees .5moa. An off the shelf rifle there is no accuracy guarinte like you get with Mels. On top of that after you do all the little tweeks to get it shooting consistant and 100% reliable you are going to spend AT LEAST if not more than a rifle from mel and it may or may not be as accurate.

If you don't want to go that route both Rem and Win make a heavy bbl version that are pretty good. The Tikka T3 is also an exellant choice and I would probably get one of those if it was me and those were my choices. Sako also makes an exellant rifel, but you will pay $2500 for it and Mels will shoot as well for 1/2 the money.

To sum things up look at Mels, if you don't like that get the Tikka HB version, Win, or Rem.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Or you could go the route which I have. Buy a mauser action from sarco and email me. We will go from there.

Total cost involved in this project will run around 1000 and thats including optics.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
i say go with a 700 adl syn.--u can always build up from it too

dom

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I know you stated you wanted a 308, but this is a nice package Mel has going right now.

http://www.snipercentral.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2177

You also need to decide how quickly you want a rifle. If you want one right away then your options are fairly limited. They are still great options, but this will narrow down the field a bit. If you are willing to wait to get a more tailored rifle, then I would say start talking to Mel to see what you can come up with on your budget.

John

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
I'd be more than happy to talk.

Also, the SC2 mentioned in the thread provided by JRP3 is also available in 308

MEL

·
Registered
19 Posts
For what it is worth, and I'm sure I am in the minority on this one but I prefer my Browning A-bolt Stalker stainless in 308 with a 3x9x40 mil dot Leopold scope. This rifle has been through more hunting trips and conditions than I care to mention and never one problem. It is lightweight for hunting yet shoots very tight groups - all for under $1000.

Again, I know most people here would prefer a Remington 700 which is fine - but it is hard to knock the quality of a good browning.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
TwoRings said:
Again, I know most people here would prefer a Remington 700 which is fine - but it is hard to knock the quality of a good browning.

still---u cant really build a high quality PRECISION rifle with browning parts as you can do with remington--but yes i do agree--browing guns are very very high quality

dom

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
hypno02 said:
still---u cant really build a high quality PRECISION rifle with browning parts as you can do with remington--but yes i do agree--browing guns are very very high quality
Its not that you cannot, its that it will cost more and you will not have as many choices.

MEL

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
[/quote]
Its not that you cannot, its that it will cost more and you will not have as many choices.
MEL[/quote]

yeah--what mel said.......lol....thats kinda what i was trying to say

dom

·
Registered
20 Posts

I just bought this rifle , used 20 brak-in rounds so I was told from shooter65 . It is winchester stealth II in 308 , have had it to the range two times , best groups .734 with factory shells , 150 grns, don't know how much you can upgrade this rifle , but I thought I would give it a try , needs some trigger work . This is my frist post , hope this picture works , Thanks Ted.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Probably the most wide known action would be the Remington 700, so if you could get one of those, that would be great because you can build up on it with so many aftermarket parts, and hey...you can send it to mel and he will build a rifle up on it later on!

StealTh

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Hi Ted, and welcome to Sniper Central!

IMO, the Winchester Stealths are great! Yours seems to be a real shooter to. For a professional trigger job, it cost me $25 and that was probably the best $25 I ever spent on my Win model 70.

There are a lot of quality replacement stocks for your rifle, if you choose to replace your stock, and having it glass bedded would be a plus, even if it does have an aluminum block bedding system.

Lap those lugs. Maybe they make good contact already, but I don't think it is much higher at all than 60%. If you can get them over 80% (I find worrying about anything over 85-90% to be a little anal) you will definately see the difference. When the barrel is off for lapping your smith can see if the face of the action needs to be squared as well, so the barrel mates with it perfectly.

Some people don't like the slower lock time a Winchester has compared to a Remington, but I think a decimal of a millisecond is splitting hairs. In any case, it ain't really about my opinion but yours. You could get a lighter firing pin assembly for increased lock time.

When you shoot it off that bench, do you have a sand bag or sand sock under your rifle butt?

I hosted your picture in my photobucket, cause it looked pretty cool and I couldn't get it to work.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts