Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its a U.S. Remington Model 03 A3. In kinda rough shape. But not all to bad. I was hoping maby I could get some info. It did not cost me a red cent so I dont mind the shape. Was thinking of taking it to a gun smith to have it re-done. Cleaned up and re-finished.

Here are some pics.

·
Registered
91 Posts
ahhhhhh

*droools* i envy you i want one soo bad to rebuild, they have soo much history. I ll give you $5, count that, FIVE usa dollars for it.lol

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We found it in a abandoned bus in the back of my grand parents storage lot. Digging thought it cause where about to ship it out. And BAM! There it is.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Change the barrell.... mostly for safety reasons. You found it in an abandoned bus so it could reasonably infered that someone might have done some naughty **** with it and then stashed it away. Just a thought.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ya I thought of that. But alot of people just dump there crap at our shop. People use it for storage then just stop paying.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Looks pretty good for a free rifle. The corrosion seems like it could be overcome...maybe not on the rear sight though. I agree with what was said above, throw the barrel away and get a new heavy match barrel. That is, if you are going for a target rifle. Try to find a synthetic stock for it, and generally have a smith do their magic.

Some old '03s were very accurate, and the action seems sound. Let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
611 Posts
new rifle

Well will have to disagree with the ones who say out of hand trash the barrel/stock. if you were trying to build a super match gun then maybe, but would suggest a good bore cleaning and or have it checked by a gunsmith then if its ok shoot the thing. for a good hunting rifle it is hard to beat the 30-06 caliber regardless of what some would say. I have to admit being a little envious also it looks like a fine rifle and the price was right . shoot it then decide where you want to go with it .

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
its not about the barrel shooting good or not... its about all of a sudden the sops showing up and saying "this rifle was used in the murder of 14 people" and then you get to go to jail. "oh yeah, sure son... you FOUND it"

its just my luck..

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
yea i have to agree with spade

and i woudlnt tell people you found it in an abandoned bus... that means you didnt legally acquire it
i could care less as long as you havnt shot anyone with it but there are people (ATF and other government officials) who's job is to grab illegal guns

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
My suggestion, if you are worried about it, contact the local sheriff department and have them run the numbers to be sure it wasn't stolen or used in a crime. Chances are it was not, the 03 is not exactly a handy rifle to be used in a crime. Kind of big, and slow to chamber the next round.

MEL

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
probably right
still if its all somoene had and they snapped like the anti-gunners say in thier hypothetical situations where guns are used just once and your pritty much skrewed
better to be safe than sorry

·
Registered
994 Posts
mele said:
Chances are it was not, the 03 is not exactly a handy rifle to be used in a crime. Kind of big, and slow to chamber the next round.
The majority of criminals are not firearm enthusiasts; they'll use whatever they can steal/buy out of a trunk. I've heard more than one officer tell an anecdote of a suspects' gun being loaded with mismatched types of ammunition: they don't go out and buy this stuff at Wally World. They think that because they can't buy a gun at the store, they can't buy ammunition, either.

Scatch Maroo

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
The guy you gave the link to... how the hell does someone not notice someone else walking up to you with a 30-30 rifle? That's kind of Darwinian, right there.

I've always wondered something like that, Scatch. When your average thug goes to buy ammo does he actually ask for "7.62x39mm Soviet"?
In my experiance with Gang Bangers (Mostly breaking them hand-to-hand after they start something stupid), they'd likely be screwed if the gun they took didn't have ammo in it. Although in the more organized gangs, I've heard reports of there being "armourers" and the like, which as far as I am concerned, is slander to any gunsmith or proper military armourer.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
it sort of depends on what you call a gang. Crips, bloods and your typical new york street gang are generally ill prepared to deal with rifle issues. I do however know of a few underground organizations which do have armourers and have very well set up ammunition stores. One of the few exceptions to this "street thug" rule of thumb would be the latin kings. I would venture to say that they, training asside, are well equipped to take down a couple states. Thats if they could ever organize. They kill themselves from within as most groups of their nature do.

·
Registered
576 Posts
One of the few exceptions to this "street thug" rule of thumb would be the latin kings. I would venture to say that they, training asside, are well equipped to take down a couple states.
How I would love to see National Guardsmen have to put their training to proper use against such poor examples of humanity.

Wait, that sounded "just a little" Nazi.

Let me rephrase:
- I wish they'd try something that stupid so they could be removed through use of properly deployed military force. Let's see their inverted-handgun firing posture deal with a freaking MBT.

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Oh boy, the national guard moving into ethnic neighborhoods to deal with THAT problem...wow...Would be like the LA riots on a much bigger scale. The Rodney King video was enough to incite some real fun. Would love to see support for the gangsters rise in minority areas when the army fights them....yeah, "gangsta" style pistol shootin...next when the MBTs show up it would be improvised IEDs maiming people. Assaults on a project building would also be very nasty, very fast.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Wow get that started and we would all be working like the cops in Northern Ireland, or Israel, sooner than you could done your armor and grab your rifle.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts