Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys, been a while, thought I would drop in.

I got my new G30. I have been training with my G21 (1st Gen.) for years. Always wanted a G30, so when tax refund time came around, ordered one.

My delivery date was the same day as I.D.P.A. practice. It was cool because I got it and was shooting from the holster within 1/2 hr. I like the http://www.blade-Tech.com holsters and mag carriers. I bought a paddle holster for the G30, since intended CCW carry fits the bill for this rig. This holster works.

A few observations. Since I had never held or shot a 30 previously, everything was new. We were drawing from the holster, yelling challenges, clearing dummy rounds, and doing emergency reloads. It was the emergency reloads that slowed me down with the 30.

The mag serves as the lower "grip" on the gun. Unlike my Robar modified grip G21, which I can get my hand around and easily depress the mag release and drop the mag, I had difficulty with the 30. First, I have to send it to Robar. The grip is large, even for my not small hands. Secondly, The mags don't drop free yet. Thirdly, after pulling out the mag, I would pinch my palm inserting the new mag. Blood blisters. The "grip" portion of the mag would pinch my palm upon seating in the mag well. I need to practice my technique here. Kind of a drag.

It kicks significantly for a .45acp, but it is a small handgun. I really like the .45acp stuff, so I will practice and practice.

I am committed to one scheduled group practice ( with coaches) and one class, per month for the next four months. I will get more practice in on my own time at the gun club.

Oh, my instructor is awesome. http://www.tacfire.com

·
Registered
994 Posts
Congratulations! I have a G30 (my first firearm) and I love the thing. Regarding the kick, you're right, that shorter barrel does cause a bit of extra umph, but slightly more aggressive stance and a good (not necessarily tight) grip is real helpful, but practice is what is really necessary: a lot of friends have a hard time shooting it at first, but once they get a lot of rounds down you see definite improvements.

Regarding the magazine drop, my suggestion would be to index your finger along the slide, and rest your middle and ring fingers on the grip, moving you pinky away from it and slightly lifting your palm away from the grip: this will prevent your hand from preventing the magazine release as well as stopping it from getting hurt. It feels awkward at first, but give it a few tries and you'll see it's easy to maintain a strong grip (i.e. you won't drop it) during this hold.

If your mags aren't ejecting completely, it's a problem with the springs: they should be super-tight if they're brand new and fly out with ease.

Congrats again on the new piece of tupperware!
Scatch Maroo

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
I carry a G22 at my current and last job. At both places we had a problem with the mags not dropping free when empty. We started training to strip the empty mag out to be sure it clears.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts