Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While we like to talk guns etc lets not forget land nav is one of the most important aspects of what we do. I am now on my 2nd GPS unit. I finally killed my Garmin E-Trax vista after dumping my Kayak in a lake last Jan. late at night. (long story)

First the E-Trax vist. The good points were lightweight easy to use and had MGRS with mapping. You could download waypoints to mapping programs etc. The badside was reception was not as good as I would have liked, the screen was hard to see in the bright sunshine and it went through battries like Rosie O'Donnal through a plate of food. To be fair it was one of the best at the time when it was designed. Tech stuff evolves so fast now it is not funny.

After doing research I setteled on the Garmin GPSmap 60CS. This is a mapping unit whth color screen to make it easier to see in bright sunlight. The good points are very good reception, multi formats for mapping including MGRS and UTM. Very easy to operate, downloadable/uploadable way points, water proof (supposedly)The battries last much linger than older units. The down side is it is not as compact as the E-trex system, but still not bad. The trade off is worth it.

Overall do your reasearch on what YOU need. I also used the military GPS years ago, befroe it was common in the military and long before it was available in the civilan world. While my experance was limited with it it was big and not user friendly as I remember.

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1 - 3 of 3 Posts