Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Good articles today, Recoil...Your kung-fu is strong. I like this quote from good old Statistics Canada...

What is remarkable, however, is that the Liberals' 1995 controls -- requiring all owners and guns to be licensed -- seem to have had no discernable impact
Whoa, wait a minute...You mean gun control doesn't work?!? :lol:

·
Registered
994 Posts
Good stuff once again!

Scatch Maroo

·
Registered
307 Posts
To add to Recoil's post;

John Graham. Former US Diplomat to places like Libya, and Vietnam for 15 years. US Diplomat to NATO. Part of the US Mission to the UN. Retired, and now spends his time running the Giraffe Project, a project which encourages people to change their communities instead of just complaining and voicing opinions, as well as a motivational speaker. Also, he's on the TSA "persons who posed, or were suspected of posing, a threat to civil aviation or national security" watch list.

http://www.alternet.org/story/23362/

http://www.giraffe.org/projectinfo_5.html (Staff of the Project, see the top for John Graham's biography)

The US has nowhere but UP to go.

Edit to reply to Recoil;

Northumberland, Ontario: Guy fined for non-registration of shotgun, and pleaded guilty to "two counts of unsafe storage of firearm." Apparently the ammo was near the shotgun. WTF?! Is it me, or shouldn't the ammo be in the shotgun too, let alone by it?
In Canada, some of our laws actually make sense, and are based upon study. Accidental and Suicidial deaths are the most common deaths caused by firearms. Hence, ammo is kept seperate from guns, as to A) avoid children playing with loaded firearms and B) Anyone planning to commit suicide with a uh... shotgun (How he'd manage it is a bit of a trick) would have time to think things over as he attempted to wrangle his ammo free of a locker. Not alot of thinking time is he's planning suicide, but some is better than none if he/she is merely emotionally charged.

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Even if it does get results, I really don't agree with that one. If someone is going to kill himself, he probably will, wether his ammunition is locked up or not. If he feels that bad, he won't be so easily deterred.

I also find it kind of patronizing that I can't store ammunition within access of weapons.

Letting a kid harm himself with a firearm is not a matter of laws, it is a matter of dumbass parents/adults.

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
In the jail I worked in we had a guy go into the bathroom and hang himself with his socks from the door handle. If someone really want to kill themselves they will just do it, not call someone crying and whining. Those folks usually don't want to die, but sometimes accidently kill themselves in their attempt for attention.

A couple good stories to drive this home. When I was a medic we were transporting a guy that was "suicidal" to a mental health facility. My partner rich was in the back. BTW rich was a sniper with the 101st in vietnam. Any way Rich was doing his paperwork and ingoring this idiot that was craving attention. He told Rich, "I'm going to get up and jump out hte back." Mind you we were going down the freeway. Rich didn't even look up and told the guy" go ahead, I wont stop you." The looked all hurt and upset but didn't jump.

Also we picked up teenage girls that wanted to use suicide attempt to get their boyfriend back or some other such drama. Thinking tylenol is harmless because it is an over the counter drug, they would take a bottel and call someone getting attention. Well tylenol pretty much kills your liver if you don't get it out in time. Needless to say the girls were not happy when the MD informed them that their attempt was going to work since they had destroyed their livers and only had a short time ti live before their bodies poisened its self to death. I remember one screaming she didn't want to die, she just did it for the attention while crying. Well too late. Medicine can only do so much. I felt rellly bad for the parents knowing they were going to lose their child over such a stupid stunt.

Long story longer, if someone truly wants to die, they will do it gun or not.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts