Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at one of the biggest shot gun ranges in Pennsylvania the other day day and when i was done shooting we always talk and we started to talk about gun speed and of course i had no idea what they were talking about so i asked and they told me it was the time from which you think shoot until u pull the trigger, this in term effects how much lead you need because on the same target moving at the same speed i had 10-12 inches of my lead where another kid had 18-20 because his gun speed was slower than mine so i got to thinking how much does gun speed effect rifle shooting i can see where it would have great effect on moving targets but what about still targets because i would think when u think shoot u might have the cross hairs on the center of the target but by the time u pull the trigger and the gun goes off the cross hairs might be off....your thoughts please

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Um, I'm not sure if it really is relavent to our type of calculated shooting. We do not do many "snap" type of shots (hopefully, because if you do, things probably are not good....). We take up trigger pull and "Squeeze" a shot off, even when shooting moving targets there is a calculated point of taking up the trigger and letting the shot go. Wether tracking or trapping a moving target, its still nothing like the fast pace point and shoot of trap shooting.

MEL

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea i know a little bit about the"tracking" and "ambush" techniques from my long range shooting simulator but u still have to think shoot u proably dont think the word shoot but there has to be some thing that makes u squeeze the trigger that last little bit and there is some delay and even shooting at a non moving target the point of impact will be where or close to where u were aiming exactly depending on the accuracy of the gun and in the time it takes for you to want the shot to go off until your finger squeezes the trigger im talking thousandths of a second making a difference

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
In talking with my gunsmith (Jered Jjoplin of PAtriot Arms) about this very question he believes for bolt action shopoters its a waste of his time and your $$. If you shoot High Power or otherwise need to do offhand shooting, then its worth the $$$.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Chubs,

I know what you are saying, but when we log the moving target leads that we use at various ranges, it takes that delay into effect. Because we log everything we do in our log books, we do not have to specifically worry about our "speed", we just need to worry about where we need to aim when we squeez off our rounds.

If I need to hold 1.5 mils ahead of the leading edge of the target, then I do that everytime.

MEL

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes and that is why i cant go out with info from some one else and try to shoot because you will be shooting and the difference will be a miss

1 - 6 of 6 Posts