Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Like a redheaded stepchild.

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was over at a friend of a friends house and while looking at his vast gun collection I could not help but start asking questions.....only to find out many of his firearms have never been fired and they few he does shoot look like that have been polished and sent brand new from the factory.

He referred to his guns as his babies and this stuck me as odd because I have always considered guns as tools.....tools for work.....tools for home defence.....even tools for competitions, but I do anything but baby my firearms. I still clean and oil them but they are anything but shinny and like tools have scratches, dents, and marks on them.

Just wondered where the rest of you lie on this subject.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I can see where you're comming from.

But hell man, even my pellet rifle I have I consider my child so to say. I named it black death, all black. Love it! To prove that too, I accidently dropped it and the stock snapped off (POwerline 880) and I was down(emotionaly) for 2 days because of that. Then I ductaped it back, it was a little flimsy but it still shot and I still can apply BRASS. I obviously can't do this if it were a real rifle (22, 308, 7.62, 223 etc) but its a pellet rifle.

Might sound foolish to you (the closeness) but to each his own. Maby it's because I spent so much time with it, clean it, see it do its best and also worst (sometimes).

I can see how your friends-friend collect them. Because I could have like 6 guitars, and only four of them I actually use. The remaining are for my "to have". I'm the type of kid that would hang a Les Paul up in my room on the wall.

But basicy, to each his own!

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Babies that I take to the range, drag through the mud, shoot in the rain, and clean up to look awesome.

JeffVN

·
Registered
17 Posts
The Rifleman's Creed...

This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me my rifle is useless. Without my rifle, I am useless. I must fire my rifle true. I must shoot straighter than the enemy who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will. My rifle and I know that what counts in war is not the rounds we fire, the noise of our burst, or the smoke we make. We know that it is the hits that count. We will hit.

My rifle is human, even as I am human, because it is my life. Thus, I will learn it as a brother. I will learn its weaknesses, its strengths, its parts, its accessories, its sights and its barrel. I will keep my rifle clean and ready, even as I am clean and ready. We will become part of each other.

Before God I swear this creed. My rifle and I are the defenders of my country. We are the masters of our enemy. We are the saviors of my life.

So be it, until victory is America's and there is no enemy.
Need I say more?

·
Registered
38 Posts
There are some guns you shoot and some you don't. A Kimber .45, you shoot. A set of pearl-handled Lugers with consecutive serial numbers, you don't

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Different degrees I guess, like GunTotingLiberal said. My SKS and Maverick are whipped like Government mules sometimes, I think the SKS might get off on it though.

The Garand, and my custom rifles are immediately detail-stripped and cleaned if I suspect a raindrop or snowflake may have landed on them.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I dont' have any thing made by craftsman named Tatiana or Ruby...but i do have rifles with names! :lol:

-Brian Shields

EDIT: I RESENT THAT WHOLE REDHEADED STEP CHILD THING!! :evil: I am blessed to be more than half Irish heritiged lol...Apparently chicks dig my red hair! So everyone should treat their rifles like a redheaded step child...love it and care for it! :cry:

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Have you ever heard of organ couriers? Yes, there are folks who transport human organs for transplant. Of course the delivery is extremely time sensitive and the organs must be treated with extreme care.

I treat my guns with almost the same degree of care. But then I'm

Mad

·
Registered
263 Posts
Brrr, Recoil, keeping rifle in cooler full of ice - that chills me :) that might change POI elevation, right? ;))) seriously, sometimes i had to sleep with rifle to keep it warm, wrapped with my SVU in my town camo, rifle and me together.

·
Registered
263 Posts
GREAT! :p At least, that guy had done it flawlessly, with utmost automatism and without causing accidental discharge ;) you see, 99% of weapon incidents happening in Russian LE are caused by attempts of disassembling LOADED Makarov pistols. It happens again and again, regardless of anything.

I remember one VDV (Airborne) guy who managed to bend his VSS's silencer when sleeping. Vintorez is fragile thing (main drawback of the weapon), and that guy slept embracing its barrel. I dont know what (whom? :wink: ) he met in his dreams, but he hugged the rifle tight enough to bend the silencer and receiver!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Recoil said:
I know a guy who slept with a 1911 under this pillow for years until one morning, he woke up and found it field stripped on the night stand. :shock:
That is the creepiest thing I have ever heard.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I've slept with guns before.

I used to snuggle up to my 1908 Brazilean Mauser. All that beautiful walnut was too much to resist.

Mad.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
GunTotingLiberal said:
Recoil said:
I know a guy who slept with a 1911 under this pillow for years until one morning, he woke up and found it field stripped on the night stand. :shock:
That is the creepiest thing I have ever heard.
I don't know which is worse. Field stripping a loaded pistol in your sleep, or having someone sneak into your room and field strip a pistol you were sleeping on.

John

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
This may suprise Rec, but my M3 rest on the headboard of my bed. The MAK and the Kimber are not much farther.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I've slept with Tatiana...she's aka my 91/30 mosin. after i refinished her stock she was oh-so-beautiful....sigh too bad she doesn't perform on the range like i would hope she would.

-Brian Shields

1 - 20 of 36 Posts