Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm not a gunsmith but, I've removed many recoil pads for refinishing and such on many different rifles and shotguns. This is the first H-S Precision stock I've come in contact with. I'm 6'4" tall and have a natural LOP of almost 16" so I need to add at least a 1" spacer between the stock and the factory recoil pad. I just received the 1" spacer block today from Brownells and started looking at removing the factory recoil pad to start shaping and installing the block. I can't seem to find any perforations in the factory pad for a screw driver to access the screws! WTF? Wondering if there is a trick someone can let me in on or if I have to cut off the factory pad? I can't seem to figure this out.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Chris

·
Registered
39 Posts
There was a thread about this just a day or two ago, but I didn't feel like searching for it. Short answer, they're epoxied on.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess I haven't been paying attention. I haven't seen a thread about this for over 2 yrs.

Thank you for the info about the epoxy. Yet my question is still unanswered: Anyone have any tips on what the best way to remove this recoil pad would be for a DIY'er?

·
Registered
37 Posts
use a heatgun and a razor knife between the pad and stock, and slowly work your way around. this is what HS told me to do to remove the pad.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thats the idea I've been lookin' for!! Thanks!

Did it work fairly well for you?

·
Registered
37 Posts
yes, i did it to add weight to my stock. came off easy, and re glue it with 5 min epoxy. put a stick through the action hole and use rubber bands to put pressure on the pad. worked great.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Here's a pic of the pad removed on an H-S stock. It may help if you know what's behind it. Mine popped off with little effort.

[/url]

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you very much! That does help me feel more confident about undertaking the task.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Your photo disappeared. Too many forums rely on photobucket for pics only to have them disappear months or years later.

I would like to get Remington's new Supercell Recoil pad which appears to have a 1/4" shoulder that fits into the stock of the 700 SPS, for example. Mine however, like yours, is a 700P with the HS precision stock. Not sure if the HS and the factory remington stocks have the same pocket dimensions for recoil pads.

Was the spacer you purchased from Brownells specifically for the HS stock? Or does it fit any Remington 700? This might help determine if the Supercell recoil pad has the same shoulder/recess dimensions.

Can you do us late-post-readers a favor and re-post the photo of your stock with the recoil pad removed?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts