Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

Is this some nice gear or a bunch of clutter?

• It gives me more options and that's a good thing

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • What's the point? I can get the job done with Mil-dots

• I only use Red Star scopes

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering what our snipers and LE guys make of this.

http://www.horusvision.com/images/reticles/H31_Huge.gif

It's the Horus H31 recticle.

Here's what Horus has to say about it.

Range Finders

The "Duplex" is indexed in metric indicators. Each hash mark subtending to exactly 2 cms at exactly 100 meters. The numbers denote 10cm, 20cm, 30cm, etc. If you know the size of your target in centimeters, you will use this grid to determine the range of the target.

Target Grid

The lower half of the reticle contains the target grid. Each horizontal line on this grid equals one mil radian. A Mil Radian is equal to exactly 10cm at 100 meters. Each hash mark on the lower duplex of the reticle subtends to ¼ of a mil radian. The "windage" marks to the left and right of the main duplex subtend to 2 tenths of a mil radian with the larger hash marks subtending to 1 mil radian. The numerals on the right and left sides equal the number of mil radians each line represents from the zero point (or the duplex cross in the center of the reticle).

Perhaps this is old hat, but it struck my interest.

I guess the next question is, "is the glass any good?"

-(L) snowy

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Snowy,
I, too, have had an interest in the Horus Vision system, but haven't met or heard from anyone with any experience with it. Would like to hear from someone with some hands-on experience!

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Looks workable, I would have to see it and try it to say for sure though.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Nice!! We have at least one "Red Star" user here :lol:

In terms of the Horus. The system works, I just don't personally like all the clutter in my field of view. Its a personal preference thing, and something you might be able to get used to. But to me, all the lines obscure detail and help things "blend" into the environment. Again... personal preference. Try to get your hands on one to determine for yourself.

MEL

·
Registered
263 Posts
Interesting thing, I've tried flash-based simulator on their site, but this is really obscuring reticule, as Mel has said... Maybe I'm biased, sticking with angular reticule for so long :)

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
My personal favorite reticle is the German #4, I find it very simple and it seems to aid me in focusing in on the center of the reticle. I have on on my Mueller, but it has a dot in the center, which although it draws the eye to the center, seems to make my groups open up some. I think this is because it obscures the POA and makes it harder to have exact rpeatable POA.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
According to Horus, you can use the grid to instantly adjust your shots.

Step 1. (They don't actually mention step one, but it would be the only way) Clamp your stick into your favorite bench.

Step 2.
Take your shot.

Step 3.
Look at where your shot hit in the grid.

Step 4.
Move that spot on the grid to the spot you want to shoot.

Step 5.
Get shot by the person you shot at.

Step 6. Your rifle should be ready to shoot in your new range.

Well... Maybe step five isn't in there either. :wink:

For a horrid promotion go here...

http://www.horusvision.com/hv.cfm?pg=tacttower

If they actually want to sell this to tactical shooters, why make a little movie that will only make them angry?

Anyway, I don't plan on getting one anytime soon.
Supposedly, somebody won a couple sniper comps with this thing.

-snowy

P.S.
No more cast! :D Still can't go back to work! :(

·
Registered
263 Posts
Yeah, I was amused. It will work wonders, definitely - if the scope will come with portable, concealable, easy-to-use, light and WMD-proof armored hide :) after one shot, they are waiting for second one. After second shot, prepare for a bunch of mortar shells (at best)...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts