Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone, I know what I'm asking may be a long shot... no pun intended. I know a guy who has roughly 8 pounds of Hodgdon H570 powder that he's willing to let go for a steal, now being this powder was discontinued in 1974 I think. Has anyone used this powder in a 338 lapua magnum with notable success. Since the 338 lapua was developed in the early 80's there is no load data I know of for a 338 lapua magnum with this powder. Would it be worth the time and money???

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I've never used the powder but if the H in H570 stands for Hodgdons, I would suggest contacting the company directly and ask them where H570 would fall on their burn rate chart. (see link below)

I've used Retumbo for 335LM and 300NM with some success. Retumbo is listed at 154 and H50BMG which is used for 50 cal BMG is listed at 160. So if you are in this general area you might be OK. The part that concerns me is the age of the powder and the conditions it was stored in. You might want to touch base with the manufacturer regarding shelf life and how age affects the powder's performance.

I personally spend a lot of time on load development and I don't want to spend all that time and barrel life on a powder that I can't get more of. There are 7000 grains to a pound and 8 lbs = 56000 gr/ 94 gr per round ( I'm guessing here) will load about 596 rounds of 338LM. If you believe the barrel life of 1800-2000 rounds, that's around 1/4 of the barrel life. Bottom line for me is if you shoot a lot, its not worth doing load development for a limited available powder,

·
Registered
9 Posts
I hate to be this way, but perhaps he should wait on reloading till he figures the computer out, I googled it a 5000 links pop up and burn rate charts that put it right between reloader 22 and IMR 7828

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I hate to be this way, but perhaps he should wait on reloading till he figures the computer out, I googled it a 5000 links pop up and burn rate charts that put it right between reloader 22 and IMR 7828
Thats is a bit hotter than Retumbo according to the link above. Definitely need to do a pressure test but its not at the opposite end like a shotgun or handgun powder.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've already looked at a bunch of burn rate charts and know what it compares to. I'm asking if anyone has used with any success or not, before I waste my time and money... I'm only interested in itbecause I can get 8lbs of it for next to nothing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts