Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK one of you guys tell me how it is done. It must be a pretty difficult science as only the really high dollar rifles seem to have it. :?:

·
Registered
50 Posts
I believe hand lapping is best left to people that know what there doing. Kinda like open heart surgery, but if the patient dies, its just a barrel.
If you must, there are several websites to guide you, just do a google search for 'HAND LAPPING BARRELS'. Most of the websites start by telling not to do it :lol:

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I would deffinitly leave hand lapping a barrel up to a master armorer or a high end long range rifle gunsmith... like Sharpshooter said... its like open heart surgery.

BC

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
This is the extent of my knowledge on handlapping a barrel.

It involves alot of equipment that I dont own, and I doubt that you do too. You never said you were a gunsmith or had alot of tool and die equipment so i'll just stick with this assumption.

I know that lilja has worked out a way to lap parallel to the bullet travel, which keep their barrels from grabbing jacket material therefore increasing accuracy. If I were you I'd leave it to the guys who've done it before.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Didnt say that I was going to try it, just wanted to understand the process. It seems from some of the custom rifle makers that it must be very difficult based on the price tag.

6 Posts
Im not quite sure how hand lapping the bore is done but i do know that lapping somthing means to apply a lapping compound that smoothes out a surface. It might be done the same way but im not sure.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Well, basically the rifle is 'slugged'. Then the slug is roled in diamond lapping compound, fitted on a guide rod, and worked though the barrel taking out the tight spots.
There is also 'fire lapping' where a bullet with lapping compound is fired through the rifle.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Heh... I use hand lapped barrels on our rifles, but its not done by me!!

Sorry I cannot offer more than that.

MEL

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Trying that at home...bad ju-ju

Muzz trying that at home....Baaaaaad ju-ju

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
Polishing your bore is not that complicated. Many people use JB past or even flitz polish. It is a lot of hard work by hand, but doable. It may not be exactly the same as hand lapping you get from a custom bbl, but it helps fowling. For more info go here http://www.varmintal.com/ think this is where I found out about it a few years ago. At any rate he is a retired engineer and has lots of useful info.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts