Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all just looking for opinions, good or bad of the zastava brand! ive seen afew on gunshop websites cropping up in australia, a mauser action priced below a remmington and tikka? that had me interested.

how do they shoot? how do they feel? are they reliable? whats the accuracy and action like? and anything else you wanna tell me!

thanks all! joe.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Zastava arms are one of those diamond in the roughs type of deals. Zastava is factory of arms in Serbia that has been producing firearms for decades. All their barrels are cold forged and of good quality. (after all that country has been thought 5 wars in past 20 years) Serbia is rich in steel and other minerals however not in chrome so don't count on having any chrome lined barrels. For their guns you can expect top notch quality and accuracy for that price. I know their AK's and SKS's are some of the best in the world. Serbia and Zastava arms was I believe 2nd country that adapted and produced mouser systems. I know that they bought all the German machinery after WWII and fall of Nazi Germany.

·
Registered
43 Posts
i had a remington 798 in .300wm which is made by zatstava factory. it was a good shooter, the action was not the smoothest, accuracy was acceptable for a hunting rifle it was a moa rifle although i was not always with the recoil...lol and i never had any problems with it at all.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
They do not have the best stocks in the world.
If you like to refinish a gun stock they can look nice.
The checkering appears to be poorly hand cut.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Howdy water_au!
I own and shoot four Interarms Mark X's. Two are magnums and the others are a .30-06 and a
.338-06. Granted these are older models but pretty much the same rifle.
Though one of my best friends owns and shoots a few of the Zastavas. It appears that the only noticeable difference between the Interarms and the newer Zastavas are the stocks. The Zastava stocks are not as finished. Truly a working mans rifle. But a rifle that can be made into something near a work of art, used as is or as with most types of "98" Mauser's can be altered (different trigger, different stock, different sights, rebarreled etc...) to the nines!
Ummm, we like our :) .

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah i asked the sales guy he said if you want it to be accurate dont bother but i like the diamond in the rouch types or undiscovered gems etc :) im keeping them in mind!

·
Registered
27 Posts
yeah i asked the sales guy he said if you want it to be accurate dont bother but i like the diamond in the rouch types or undiscovered gems etc :) im keeping them in mind!
What that sales guy said is near comical. Of all the Mark X's and Zastava M70's that I have shot or friends have shot, dozens, they have all but one been near
MOA or better.
And how accurate is accurate? My best friend and hunting/shooting mentor has a 6.5X55 chambered Zastava M70. He worked the stock including glass bedding it, polished the race ways and lightened the trigger. Using his hand loads he will produce 100 yard clover leafs all day long. Doesn't do to bad at 200 and 300 yards either.
Absolutely diamonds in the rough.

Reactions: exsimguy1

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah i kinda figured he was just stating that because of the price tag trying to up a potential sale!

i really like the idea of a nice mauser action done on a budget and there is what 3 countries that use zastava for military firearms and they have been opperating for a long time so that does instill confidence at the very least my first rifle will be a zastava 22 magnum, 600 bucks gets me the rifle a bipod and cheap scope good enough for plinking and getting into a consistant form.

seeing how that performs i might get a 308 or 223 zastava but it will be a close toss up with the barrelled howa action as ill be dropping either into a mcmillan stock, and i checked with mcmillan and the stocks do accept the zastava action( i checked just because they didnt mention the zastava on the site better safe than sorry)

thanks for all the info guys :) appreciate it!

·
Registered
1 Posts
What that sales guy said is near comical. Of all the Mark X's and Zastava M70's that I have shot or friends have shot, dozens, they have all but one been near
MOA or better.
And how accurate is accurate? My best friend and hunting/shooting mentor has a 6.5X55 chambered Zastava M70. He worked the stock including glass bedding it, polished the race ways and lightened the trigger. Using his hand loads he will produce 100 yard clover leafs all day long. Doesn't do to bad at 200 and 300 yards either.
Absolutely diamonds in the rough.
can you get his load recipies for me? PPU 129gn factory stuff sprays all over.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts