Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just another curiosity of mine, but has anybody tried necking a .338 lapua magnum round down to a .30 cal bullet?

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
The .338 is based on the .416 Rigby, so it would probably be better to ask if anyone has necked down the .416 to 30 cal. I'm sure Mad can answer that for us!

MEL

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Heh that sound you hear is an eroding throat crying out for help

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Thanks for posting that link to lapua, sig man. The .300 Lapua would be an absolute bear to shoot.

Instead, I implore one and all to turn your heads towards the 6.5x55mm. Look at all of the glorious data for that round. Praise the load!!

Mad

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Yeah, but there is no huge flash that turns night into day, my crosshairs stay on target, and it doesn't make my shoulder hurt :cry:

Oh wait...those are good things.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Mad,

I've just spent the day shooting my CG 63 Swedish target rifle and what a thrill it is to hit a 10" by 12" target at 300 yrds from a standing position with a sling.
Two other shooters who had never shot 6.5 x 55 before (one a .303 Enfield and L1A1 fan and the other guy a FAL freak) both put 10 rounds each through the CG63 and said they WILL be getting one .... they were VERY impressed :D
To me, the "feel" of the 6.5 Swede round has a "right" feel to it .... I know that's a bit nebulous but I bet you, and others here, know what I mean.

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
I used to have an old Sierra reloading manual and in there was a wildcat load some guy necked down a 338 mag I tink to 6.5 and used it to win a 1000 yard competition. This manual was published in the 80's and there was very limited info.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts