Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, there has been a lot of talk about the M-16 vs. the XM8. Where does the G36 fit into all of this? Is it comparable?

·
Registered
22 Posts
As far as i know, the XM8 is the new project from HK, the evolution of the HK G36. So my guess is that they will lessen the focus on the g36 and try to evolve the xm8 as far as they can. Some armed forces (like the norwegian special forces) still use the g36 though.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
re

I don't really think the XM8 is any more evolved than the G36, or any better than it... I think H&K simply had to make it look like they were developing a new rifle especially for America, for Americans to be happy. I can't really see America buying an "off the shelf" product like the G36, for their next rifle.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
we shoulda just adopted the G36
dont know why we needed to get this XM8 which isnt going to help us out any at all over having a G36
well what do i know im only a PFC

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
i still say we should convert our m-16s and m-4s into the 6.8 by43mm caliber so we dont have to adopt any new guns....................

~dom~

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
were adopting the XM8 which is in 5.56mm and i havnt herd any plans to develop it in 6.8mm... only suggestions from people who know what they are talkin about

im wondering which direction the army is gonna go: 6.8mm or 5.56mm

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Check my post in the XM8 thread for info guys.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
re

Jeff, America is not adopting the XM8, at least not yet.

A competition is to take place last I heard, with many arms manufacturers making a bid.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Whoops, did I say HD? Sry I was tired guys. But neways, I was just curious if the G36 has any advantages or obvious differences as opposed to the XM8.

hypno- that is exactly what I have been saying!

Yimmy- I may not always agree with you man, but you are often very insightful. You guys should think about what he said as I think there is a deffinate logic here. As Americans, we always want new and cool sh*t. Hell I love new toys just as much as anyone else, but in this case I wish the governement would look at all the aspects of what is being proposed.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
APK-223 said:
Yimmy- I may not always agree with you man, but you are often very insightful.
Nah, I don't know about insightful... I just like throwing in argumentative points of view to liven the place up a little. :)

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
APK-223 said:
But neways, I was just curious if the G36 has any advantages or obvious differences as opposed to the XM8.quote]

It aint made of plastic!

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
re

G36 stock is all plastic....

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
The whole stock is plastic... some people might call it some space age name... but its still plastic. "Combat Tupperware" :lol:

BC

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The only non metal 'compostie' I have seen that I would be willing to carry is the new carbon material by bushmaster. You really have to see it for yourself, I think it is going to change the way we look at the materials used in rifle manurfacturing.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
re

When I got to handle the G36 I didn't like the ergonomics of it, it felt far too bulky to me.
I don't mean bulky as like a long Mauser or something, I mean the plastic was kind of thick and high around the scopes... just seemed a bit unweildly.
The HK33 on the other hand is beutiful, if such a word can be used to describe a gun.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts