Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was in a discussion the other day with a very "experienced" shooter, and he stated that bullets will "climb the wind" when coming from its rotational direction... example : when shooting a left spin gun, with a decent left to right wind call, the bullet turns into and "climbs" the wind, keeping it flatter than if shooting through a right to left wind..... anyone hear of or know more on this? i'm not so sure i think it will make a difference.....

·
Registered
263 Posts
The bullet definitely flies a little left or right, depending of rifling spin. I have never taken wind in consideration when estimating bullet drop, though, and never met a guy who did so. But I generally shot at 150-500m distances, rarely going farther. Long-range match shooters, anyone?

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I think he is talking about the Magnus Effect.....

At very long ranges, the bullet tends to drift in the direction in which the tip is spinning.

Mad

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
The only thing I've heard of is a guy at my gun club that shoots a vintage 45-90 in some special competitions. That thing shoots big slugs real slow all the time as in 1,400 fps at the muzzle. He said when shooting that beast at distance (600 yards plus) he needs to pay attention to wind direction because it will climb the wind in one direction and dive in the other. Given his number of shooting championships - I'm not going to say he is wrong.

JeffVN

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
When that thing ends up going at 400 FPS I wouldn't be suprised if it did kinda "surf" lol

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
re

Jeffvn said:
He said when shooting that beast at distance (600 yards plus) he needs to pay attention to wind direction
JeffVN
"No ****", springs to mind!

·
Registered
140 Posts
The only way i see somthing like this happening is if there is an updraft in wind. But then again im not a ballistics expert.

The Rifleman

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
I've heard of what you call wind climb, the name is missleading. Where I noticed it was when I was into shooting 22 siloitte out to 100m's, in just the right wind which I think was coming from you 7:00 to 8:00 o clock it would make the bullet impact higher than if from the 4:00 to 5:00 o clock which seem to make the bullet drop more. as for high power rifle I have not noticed this efect to warrent sight adjustments.
Cliffy out

1 - 8 of 8 Posts