Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are you guys using for hearing protection ?

Any worthwhile in-ear protection that I'm not aware of ?

I need to invest in some new protection gear.

:)

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
What?

:lol:

In the field I don't use any protection, but if I'm testing a load at the range then I'll use the cheap shooting earmuffs you find at places like walmart. Works fine for me.

dom

·
Premium Member
5,799 Posts
I use the little orange rubber ones that the Army Gave out.
The muffs make my head hurt. I dont like the foam type that you have to squeeze and put in your ear......they usualy dont say good.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I just use the cheapy earmuffs they work good for the shooting I do.
A year or so ago I used the earmuffs and my dad has 2 or 3 pairs but sometimes when shooting I noticed that they get in the way at times. Sorry I have forgotten what type of gun it was that I had problems with shotgun or rifle but I don't think it would make a difference. It could also be me shooting improperly or with bad form but now I use little foam ones that go in my ear.

·
Premium Member
5,799 Posts
Bower said:
A year or so ago I used the earmuffs and my dad has 2 or 3 pairs but sometimes when shooting I noticed that they get in the way at times. Sorry I have forgotten what type of gun it was that I had problems with shotgun or rifle but I don't think it would make a difference. It could also be me shooting improperly or with bad form but now I use little foam ones that go in my ear.

Well sometimes certian types of muffs make it hard to get a good cheek on the rifle.

·
Registered
191 Posts
whbonney26 said:
Bower said:

Well sometimes certian types of muffs make it hard to get a good cheek on the rifle.
Yeah and these might have been machinery earmuffs for woodworking that's why I wasn't sure if they're different than shooting specific muffs if they even have them.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I use Pro Ears Dimension 1 Electronic Muffs.

They work well, although when at my covered range I use foam plugs with them as well due to the higher concussion level under the roof, especially with other shooters and muzzle breaks, out in the field even with a muzzle break is no issue at all. They amplify sounds I want - animals etc, and cut off over 70-ish Decibels (gun shots). And they're comfortable to wear all day unlike other inexpensive muffs. I bought a pair for my wife as well and she loves them. IIRC they're under $150.00

Even better would be custom in ear electronic protection that you'd have to have an ear doctor create your custom moulds for. I think these are in the $750.00 range.

I play guitar as well and my hearing is worth too much to me to not protect whenever I can.

Try to find pricing on cochlear implants, I'm guessing in the $75,000.00 + area to restore damaged hearing.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I generally used the yellow foam or the baffled soft rubber inserts. In Iraq I usually just used one in my right (shooting) ear - it can be pretty hard to understand people with both in, but I was hopeing come out with my hearing intact. It seemed a good compromise, and they worked, simple as they are. Were you referring to range shooting or operational shooting?

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
The Impact Sport Electronic ear muffs have been getting great reviews over on the hide. If you don't feel like reading through the whole post, here it is in a nutshell.

They blow Peltor 6s out of the water
Cheaper than the Peltors
Most people are buying these and getting rid of their Peltors

The only complaint I saw was that one person heard a loud whirring sound when he turned the volume up. It turns out it was a fan in the computer that the earmuffs were picking up. :wink:

I plan to pick up a set in the very near future.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=147264#Post147264

You can buy them here, Donnie is a great guy to deal with:

http://www.bigrivertactical.com/catalog/item/4457578/4461735.htm

If you are looking for some ear plugs, I have been referred to using these by people whose judgment I trust.

AOSafety® COMBAT ARMS INDOOR / OUTDOOR E-A-R® PLUGS

John

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sigh.. I should have expected the "what ?" responses :)

I had read about the Impact at the hide JR, thanks for pointing them out tough, I'm considering investing in some.

I'm asking because my hearing is important for my living and it's important that I don't damage it - and neither should you guys, it's a serious issue that you'll only regret latter in life when it's too late.

I'm fine at the indoor range with my handguns as I invested in quality muffs which make all the difference. But I haven't found a comfortable muff for rifles and am trying to find in-ear protection that's a little better than the standard foam or rubber inserts that we all use.

Thanks for your responses.
I'll probably buy the Impacts regardless, they'll work for handguns even if they don't work for me with rifles.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Mythos said:
Sigh.. I should have expected the "what ?" responses :)
WHAT?

·
Registered
123 Posts
i use the caldwell hearing enhancer. works pretty good at amplifying sound and protecting against blast :-D. Just remember to turn off the power when your done. i've gone through a couple sets of batteries already. what i like most about it is it's only 35 bucks :-D...oh and it's on sale at www.Midwayusa.com i just bought another pair :p

1 - 17 of 17 Posts