Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everybody!
Another beautiful day here in Iraq. I finally managed to sneak on to a computer, so here i am. We are stationed on the peninsula in the southwest corner of Fallujah. Myself and my fellow snipers are busy operating in two and four man teams throughout our AO, all and all we cover the entire southern half of the city and all outlying areas, we are pretty busy. It has been somewhat frustrating, we are constantly battling to be correctly employed. Most company commanders will not except responsibilty for sending us out into "indian country" without significant backup. We however have excepted this risk. My teams list of weapons on a normal op are as follows, TL with M40A3, M4, and 9mm. ATL with M40A3, and M16A4, RO with M!6/203, 9mm and tons of frags AND myself with either, barret 50. cal and m16 or a Para Saw, 9mm, LAW and about 600 rnds of ammo. Round that out with frags, knives, various nvg,s thermal scope, radios and lots of water and you have a squad condensed onto 4 marines. Yeah, its heavy but when we need it we have it.
theres not alot I can really talk about but I figured I'd give you all a heads up. I'll be back as soon as I can, take care all
Pounds

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Thanks for the update Pound!! Especially appreciated the load out information. Keep working with the CO's in a professionaly manner and by proving your worth and capability and they will come around. Its essential to have the freedom of movement for you guys to operate effectively....

Be careful out there and make sure to keep us posted as often as you can, and let us know if there is anything you need from here.

MEL

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
Good to he4ar from you. Take care.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Good to hear from ya Poundcake! if you're ever traveling north of Tikrit on HWY 1, look me up. i might be able to get you some nice reservations in our newest hotel, lol! seriously though, if ya ever get up this way, let me know. i'd be glad to meet ya.

Brian

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Stay safe pound. And thank you for your service.

APK

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
yeah its good to hear from ya pound----keep saying prayers to God to keep you safe--you know we will be here for ya--out of curosity--do they make you lug around that barrett???? i'd say thatd be a BI*&$ anda half!!

stay safe

dom

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
God Bless and God Speed, keep you head down and eyes open, and educate some insurgents for us. Thanks for doing what you are doing, it means more than you will ever know.

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Good to hear from you as always, Poundcake! We're proud of you man.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thought I'd check in again, first of all thankyou for all your support. myself and my team really appreciate it.
things are still rather frustrating. there was an accident up north and a reinforced team was overrun, they broke alot of rules so now of course we are under the microscope. We are allowed to operate but we are required to have a 4 man fireteam attached! I understand highers line of thinking but they are only making our job more dangerous, we are bigger, and slower, our communication and tactics are shot and moving without being seen is nearly impossible. I guess the traditional sniper role is slowly fading.
On a better note our emolyment and missions are getting better, somebody is figuring out that we are good for more then overwatch.
Yes, I do have to carry the Barret, if its a long insertion we will break it down but I normally hump it solo, I don't mind it as long as everyone knows I get first shot :twisted:
I have a favor to ask, My Team is lacking in protection for our scopes other then the blackhawk padded sleeves which are left behind on missions, if any one back there knows the correct size butler scope caps for the 10x usmc unertl we would be very much in your debt. I'll post my addy on the bottom.
Also, Mel, have you recieved the ior scope? I hope it made it to you.

thanks for everything, I'll be back soon

Godfather out

Pounds, J G
2/7 F. Co. SS
UIC 41555
FPO AP 96426-1555

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
Poundcake said:
I have a favor to ask, My Team is lacking in protection for our scopes other then the blackhawk padded sleeves which are left behind on missions, if any one back there knows the correct size butler scope caps for the 10x usmc unertl we would be very much in your debt. I'll post my addy on the bottom.
Also, Mel, have you recieved the ior scope? I hope it made it to you.

thanks for everything, I'll be back soon

Godfather out

Pounds, J G
2/7 F. Co. SS
UIC 41555
FPO AP 96426-1555
Do you need the sizes or the scope covers. Ill be willing to pitch in some cash. Also how many sets do you need?

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
Poundcake,

I e-maild unertl for the info. I couldn't find a contact e-mail for butler creek. Will let you know if I hear back. In the mean time I have used a cut innertube as scope protetion. Cut a section of the innertube off so that it makes a big circle, then just streach it over the scope. It gives very good protection.

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
Contacted butler creek.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Yep, I think we can handle getting some butler creek flip ups out to you (I mean, gee, they are a montana company!)

Yes, I did get the IOR, its mounted on our 308 test mule and we'll be having a review of it soon! Thanks for the contribution!

MEL

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
hey everbody,
the team and I appreciate the fast reply. 2 sets would be great, we never take out more then 2 of the 3 rifles at once.
Things are still holding steady, I would really like to get into more detail about our methods for youguys but with opsec like it is there will be more appropriate times later. We are busy as ever, our standing with the CO has improved somewhat after we stopped a potentially nasty shoot out between friendly forces. we are also learning the joys of "friendly" air support. watching an F-18 drop down to about 1000 feet off the deck and line up on our hide is a new kind of fun. note to future snipers, learn your radios! know all the freqs by heart and suck up to your air officers. they will save your life!
I don't know how many of you have read the new book "shooter" by a USMC gunny but in it he talks about employing snipers in a open, fast moving, hostile environment. We are learning first hand that a lot of his ideas are very applicable for our current environment, sometime in the future the employment of a sniper team plus support should be brought up, it completely changes the way we move and react to the enemy, and makes covert operations really interesting. Anyways, I'm running out of time. Once again I really appreciate everyones help. -Pounds

1 - 19 of 19 Posts