Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm trying to figure out what I want to get and was wondering if anybody could help. I've decided to get a new rifle and not sure which one to go with. I'm pretty sure I've made the decision on a .308 at least. Now to just pick the right one. Lately I've been looking at the Remington 700 (especially the target tactical). I would like to keep it around 2k if possible. Any suggestions? Thanks for your help

·
Registered
90 Posts
Some other good alternatives would be the 700P or the 700 Milspec 5R for a lot less money. If your budget is $2000, then you could use the balance of the money you save to purchase an aftermarket stock such as a Manners or McMillan and still come out ahead.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have thought about going with a little cheaper gun and stock upgrade but I care more about quality then a stock at the moment. Thanks for the advice gtgunner. Avolcek, no it doesn't include glass. I have another 2k budget for that one lol. This is going to be my new baby since I can't get a new quad.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Instead of buying an off the rack gun and replacing parts how about contacting Stockade Gun Stocks and ask about the custom rigs they build? They build Remington and Savage rifles using their own stocks. I can't comment on the quality of stock yet since mine is still a month or so from arrival but everyone that has one speaks highly of them.

They use a well known barrel manufacturer, I just cant recall the name right now. Kevin Rayhill told me the name when I spoke to him.

You could also contact Mel about the rigs he builds.

·
Registered
406 Posts
First let me say I am surprised Avolcek didn't try to point you towards Savage (I think he secretly owns stock in them). Everything I have heard about Excorio has been very good, so much that I have him currently building a .260 for me, but I have no first hand knowledge of his weapons yet. If you are looking for the best remington for the money the 5r is a good deal, or you can get an SPS Varmint, throw it in an AI stock with a jewel trigger and still be under your budget. The target tactical in my opinion is over priced especially for a BC stock on it.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
I'd take a $500 Rem 700 and use the $3500 left over and buy an S&B, good base, rings, and trigger. I'd try out lots of stocks and pick one up after I've used several design. Rifles can be incrementally upgraded, but optics cannot. Just go for the gold if you have the cash. You'll ultimately gravitate toward that anyway.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Tyler has a good point, but for a PMII 5-25 some badger rings and base, and a jewel or Timney trigger will run most people over 3500, and he'd still have a rifle that wasn't really free floated even.

·
Registered
409 Posts
What is the purpose of the rifle?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks so much guys. I am definitely going to steer away from the target tactical. The barrel was kind of the reason I was unsure. The purpose of the rifle is mainly for target but maybe some hunting too.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Avolcek raises good point. The last thing I would want to ask is do you want to shoot now or shoot later? Shoot now with a factory, but somewhat lesser rifle vs. shooting an accurized/semi-custom/custom build and waiting and waiting. Answer that and you will have a good jump on which rifle to buy.

Your $2000 will be more than enough for the best R700 or Savage models out there. Buy NF glass. And start shooting, which is the whole point. Shoot some more, then more. Eventually, you will learn a lot more about what rig you like and don't like: stock, trigger, caliber, etc. Now, maybe its time to re-barrel, either because you shot the life out of the first barrel or you decide you want something that better suits you: step two in the decision tree.

Rem700 re-barrel: You order a nice, hand-lapped barrel and give you gun to a trusted gunsmith to true the action and install the barrel. You don't shoot while the smith has your rifle for some not insignificant amount of time.

Savage re-barrel: You order a nice, hand-lapped barrel and while waiting for it you continue to shoot. When it comes in YOU swap the barrel (as Avolcek mentioned).

While you are at it, change out the stock if you want to (this could entail a long wait, but can be done at any time). Either way, you now have a semi-custom/custom rifle that shoots the daylights out of any factory Remmy or Savage rifle.

or you decide what you want today and have it built ... warning you might not be able to do this for $2000 and it will take awhile if you started today. During this time you won't be shooting. And that sucks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I haven't really looked into savage much. I actually savage mark II. I've just heard good things about the remington 700. I also don't know if I would trust my building skills for a rifle at the moment (not exactly an expert lol).

·
Registered
79 Posts
For sure check the 5R milspec, but doing that dont overlook the LTR. There is one for $800 or $875 on the Hide and it has been hanging there for a while. Then you can spend the rest of the rifle $ on ammo or reloading gear. I have an older LTR and shoots .5 MOA pretty consistently. Hoping to improve this by skim bedding the block.
When looking at glass, NF is really good stuff, but dont overlook IOR Valdada. Amazing glass, great controls, I love their MP8 reticle, and they come with rings. Avolcek, can you attest to the quality of the IOR rings (I think you have some)? I have one of their scopes and I simply love it. Thinking about putting another one on my next rifle.
Good luck to ya and have fun

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
You can pretty much buy any custom rifle you want, but until you've spent time between them (ie behind different stock/barrel contours) to order any of them won't be the best use of money.

I've seen a many bone-stock 700s work VERY well just after stuffing them into a good stock. Which? That's different for each person. I'm really liking the T4As...some guys like chassis systems, some AICS or some Mickey A1s. Gotta get what works for you.

Essentially, if you don't have the skill developed to take advantage of it, a custom rifle is a waste.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Tyler I agree with you that some stock rifles can indeed shoot very well but even an inexperienced shooter can benefit from a custom rig. In the CMP matches I've shot they call it "buying your points" which I take it to mean that with a full custom you are only limited by your skills and when something is off you know it is you. This makes you worry about making shooter improvements instead of upgrading your equipment. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Absolutely! My point is that even though, there are marginal gains one can make in equipment, most of that never materializes. Most guys don't know WHAT is going to help them initially. People will put down the cash for a custom without the experience to do what suits their needs. I personally made that mistake based solely on others' advice rather than actually getting behind a group of rigs and trying them myself and learning what was holding me back and what wasn't.

I shoot multi-range F and other events.

I never once had a rifle that I couldn't outshoot until I got my GA Precision 6.5x47L. Its the first rig that could outshoot me consistently, but my scores, they aren't all that much better. In field conditions, shooting various ranges, if a guy can shoot half MOA all day, he'll win almost ever match he goes to. The last match I was at, the winner's target was more than MOA at 369-0x. The one before that, it was about MOA. Out to 1,000 yards, 3/4 MOA keeps you from dropping any points.

I've found with extended range shooting, the biggest limiter is usually the sighting system. It was for me. I had a custom 6.5-284 that I thought I was doing pretty well with. However, I did much better with a less accurate rifle with a Nightforce than I did with the custom 6.5-284 with Leupold, despite better performance.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Absolutely agree, wear out that factory tube. The skills you gain and experience will keep you from wasting your cash.

Nothing wrong with the F1, either. My only complaint with that particular model is I prefer more magnification on the top end and I absolutely HATE the lack of a rheostat and lack of fast-focus on the eyepiece. But with those considerations, its still a great optic and I've been tempting to buy one myself when I migrate toward a semi-automatic .308 Win.

NF are just plain tough.

Other than a trigger, and perhaps a bolt knob, most any upgrade off the bat could potentially be a waste, but money on glass rarely is.

Also, don't rule out the new Leupold Mark-6 line. It looks VERY promising at a price point less than the F1.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Another thing to look at for optics is if you keep an eye out long enough you can usually find a demo model that was out on display for a gunshow for a couple hundred dollars cheaper then you can normally get.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well..it may have taken a long time but I finally ordered my 700 5r milspec .308 yesterday..should be in on Tuesday..super excited..now just have to decide on glass, rings, mounts an all those goodies..thank you guys so much for the input

·
Registered
6 Posts
As a 2002 Ft. Benning, Sniper School Graduate they drilled into our heads daily that you never choose your weapon, it chooses you. 10 years later being out of combat and out of the Army i find myself at the range and out in the woods 4-5 times a week just to maintain the skills that i trained for those 6 grueling weeks. So ask yourself what are you going to do with this weapon? Hunting, Law Enforcement, etc. Are you willing to spend thousands of dollars to only pick it up 2-3 times per month? Many questions to ask yourself. I have read a lot of post on here and i have found there are many that are true. Do plenty of research and talk to gun owners who have plenty of knowledge before you invest.

De Oppresso Liber!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts